car service query

Michaelrosen

Mar 9, 2009
hi,

I bought my (57) C4 Picasso in June 2008 with 25 miles on the clock ( it was registered in Dec 2007). It now has 2500 miles on the clock and the service symbol appeared, so I called the dealer and they said it was due it's first year service. When I questioned this as I only just had the complimentary 1500 mile service in November and obviously I have not had the car even a year, the lady said it was because the car had been registered for just over a year old so needed its first service if the service history was to be maintained.

Stupidly I accepted this and paid £270 last week. However, I have just looked at the service manual and the 2.0 model is expected to be serviced every 12500 miles or every two years. Have I been diddled and if so, do I have any grounds for complaint to the dealer and to request some money back for this unnecessary service? Can I complain on the grounds of mis-selling or misinformation?

Thanks
Michael

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Michael,

They may have broken the law as all they needed to do was to fix the light. These are the relevant regulations assuming they are applicable:

Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 | Consumer Information

This provides consumer protection, but it is for the authorities to investigate and decide what, if any action, to take.

You could simply write a letter saying that you have been misled and are extremely unhappy. It will probably get you a positive outcome - don't mention the above as it could come across as threatening and as I am not completely clear about the circumstances it may not be applicable.

Let us know how you get on.

Tony

Michaelrosen

Mar 9, 2009
thank You Tony for the quick reply- I have called them this morning and will let you know what they say
Rgds
Michael

Michaelrosen

Mar 9, 2009
The lady took my details and said she will call me back later today -she didn't! If she hasn't called back by tomorrow I will chase her and then write a letter
Thanks

Michaelrosen

Mar 9, 2009
I am quite impressed with the dealer

I have just had a call back from a helpful lady who apologised for this mistake. She explained that the recommended service intervals change so often that the receptionist had misadvised me and I did not need this service. She will therefore reimburse me the labour costs and just charge me for the oil and filter parts which were used. Since this was only about £18 I am not going to quibble with this.

Also, she confimed that when I bring the car in next year for its 'true' 2 year service, they will not charge me for the oil and filters.

So a pretty good outcome, and all kept very pleasant!
Thanks for all your advice
Michael