Office at home

red

Aug 22, 2008
I am about to convert a garage space into an office.

I have made sure no planning application is needed and due to the garage being detached, under 50 sqm and no plans on making it run off main heating system i dont need building regs involved. However, to make it comfortable as an office it will surpass building regs in many regards.

Does anyone know what i will need to do/require if for example i wanted to employ a member of staff part time and have them work from this new office to be.

Am guessing i then need to have a H&S policy, insurance ????

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Red,

I thought that a change of use would require planning permission and if you are running a business from the garage you may need to pay business rates. If you have an employee you need employer's liability insurance as a minimum. It might affect your home insurance too.

Tony

red

Aug 22, 2008
Hi Red,

I thought that a change of use would require planning permission and if you are running a business from the garage you may need to pay business rates. If you have an employee you need employer's liability insurance as a minimum. It might affect your home insurance too.

Tony
Was a little suprised, but planning weren't interested as it was a conversion to a habitable room from an existing building and windows were already in garage. No mains heating will be put in, mainly beacuse of expense as it is detached. May need it as you say if it becomes a formal office/space/business premises with staff. At present it is more a home office.

Not at this stage yet, far from it but just thinking ahead. As soon as a member of staff etc overheads change substantially and costs :)

Last edited:

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Make sure you also remember to carry out a risk assessment once the refurb is complete. Business link are a great source of information on insurances and liabilities.

perfumemaster

Mar 15, 2009
You do need a H&S cert if you are employing. Also, you need Employers liability Insurance. You cang easily get all your insurances consolidated these days.. It should be a simple combined policy.. you should already have home workers insurance. I'd stay away from the big boys though (HSBC,etc), they'll cost you an arm and a leg.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
If you are considering employing someone you should also speak to your local HM Revenue & Customs office, if you haven't already done so. You will need to register as an employer and you may need to set up a PAYE system, deducting tax and National Insurance Contributions from your employee's wage, keeping records and filing forms. You will also need a basic understanding of holiday pay, sick pay etc.

The alternative is to have someone work for you on a self employed basis. They pay their own tax, are not entitled to the benefits of an employee and the amount of paperwork you would deal with is significantly reduced.

I see from an earlier post that you have been pointed in the direction of Business Link. I have nothing but praise for Business Link. They are a free business support service offering advice on all aspects of setting up and running a business. You can speak to them through local advisors or over the phone.

Tracy.

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Red,

Just wondered how you are getting on with this - I am considering doing something similiar and am using you as my test case!