Exhausts...

gregy

Mar 14, 2009
We took our omega in yesterday for exhaust inspection and quote- took the car back this morning to get the middle boxes replaced. Three hours later I was told the one cat converter needed replacing and the flange got damaged when they removed the pipes (they have welded a piece of metal to "fix" the problem). The garage claims its not their problem as the exhaust was old and they struggled to remove the pipes. The exhaust is now blowing and rattling really badly with a damaged cat!
Does anyone know where I stand with this??
I cant afford £200 to replace a cat at the moment and dont feel I should as it was working fine before they started messing around!
Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

gregy

Mar 14, 2009
No thats not in writing.
When I was there I told them they need to replace the cat and the one bloke told me its not their problem!
The car sounds worse than when it arrived and once I left there I took it straight to a friend of mine who is a MOT tester. He says due to the damage the car will fail its MOT now.......

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Ask them to formalise what they did - is it on your receipt? My mechanic always documents what they do on a receipt.

gregy

Mar 14, 2009
Receipt just lists the parts and the total price.........

Funny thing was when I mentioned where I had the work done at my friends MOT centre his staff all rolled their eyes and none were suprised by what happened!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You need to make a formal complaint:

Your Name
Your Address

14/03/2009
Company Name
Company Address

Dear Sir/Madam,
Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 (As amended)

On xyz, you undertook xyz for the sum of £123.

The problems are:

• Problem 1

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) states that work should be carried out with reasonable care and skill.
I would like the following:

• Remedy 1

Please respond to my complaint/complete the work in the next 14 days. If you fail to respond/remedy in this time, I will have no option but to consider taking the matter further.

Yours faithfully

gregy

Mar 14, 2009
Thanks for that Toni and kris1anne..............will get the letter sent 1st thing tomorrow!:mad: