Loan insurance complaints rising

temi

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
London
www.temi.co.uk
I found this article quite interesting, not very surprised by the complaints:

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) says it deals with more than 800 complaints a week about payment protection insurance (PPI).
A spokeswoman said the number they were upholding was "unprecedented."
The insurance is supposed to pay out if someone is unable to relay a loan because of illness or redundancy.
But the insurance has been heavily criticised by consumer groups like Which?, which has launched an online tool make complaints simpler.
There are more than 12 million PPI policies in force.
"It is still the single biggest source of complaint, amounting to about a third of the total," said a spokeswoman for the FOS.
"We are upholding about 90% of the cases we deal with, and with one firm 100% of the cases," she added.

Source/full story: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7945728. stm

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I agree, interesting though not surprising.

I know from personal experience, the hard sell tactics that go on when it comes to the selling of PPI. I applied for a loan a while back and on refusing the offer of PPI, I noticed a distinct change in the telephone advisor's tone as he went on to critise me for my decision, stating that it was a big risk to take not covering myself with PPI. He went on to ask what I would do if I lost my job or became seriously ill, the whole time his voice getting sharper. I stuck to my guns and eventually the conversation moved on to the next stage with his last words being 'Your loss'.

I later put in a complaint about the advisor.