spontaneous CYCLICAL repair works worth 17,000

juliko

Aug 4, 2008
Last year I bought one bedroom council flat. The council advised there will be a cyclical repair works done in 2008/2009.

few weeks ago I got a letter from the council advising costs of cyclical repair works 17,000 pounds.

All leaseholders going to argue with the council that the charges are unreasonable. We are planning submission to LVT and so on.

I thought to ask people about one thing,

Is it true that because I bought the flat last year and the council did not inform me about cost of planned development works, the council does not have a right to charge me. If anybody knows more detail or had a similar situation, please let me know.

I’ve asked Council why they did not inform me about estimated cost of development works in August last yer, the answer was – because they did not know…

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I can't give you any advice on the legal position I'm afraid, but I would have thought it reasonable to expect the Council to give you some sort of indication of the probable cost levels of these repairs back when you first bought the flat. If it was me, I'd be asking for a detailed breakdown of costs as a starting point: exactly what are you getting for your £17,000, and has the work been put out to tender to ensure you're getting the best deal?

juliko

Aug 4, 2008
thank you for the reply,

yes, I've requested an inspection report and costs breakdown...

fingers crossed

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I would be exceptionally surprised if the details of the liability for these charges was not including in the deeds for the property...or at least some piece of documentation that you signed during the purchase of the flat.

You could pop into the Estate Agent or solicitir that you used and ask advice from them...but I don't think you'll be able to escape the charges.

As for the £17,000...you will most probably find that these have been caluculated accurately. My guess is that either something substantial had to be done, or the council has not been particularly robust in identifying a low cost solution. You will be very hard pressed to PROVE the latter point and I expect that you'll end up legally liable for the whole lot, I'm afraid.

That said...it's worth trying every attempt to avoid, or mitigate these costs. Good luck!

ITVhomes

Sep 3, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Juliko,

I am working on an ITV series about people having problems with their homes. Unfortunately we are quite limited to the people and homes we can feature. I hope you don't mind that I ask, are you a first time buyer?

This forum prevents me from posting my email address for you to reply to so could you please reply via this forum?

Kind regards,
Gemma

juliko

Aug 4, 2008
Gemma,

yes, I'm a first time buyer. Have you heard about similar situations? Will appreciate any assistance.

Julia