honouring discounts

Milly

Apr 14, 2009
Hi there, im fairly new to the site and i have an issue regards a highstreet opticians.

I recently took advantage of a buy one get one reduced offer on frames at my local hight st optician, On the day i picked them up io noticed that one of the pairs, the full price pair at over £300 was faulty, so i notified the store immediately and was told that they could order me a new pair and that would take 4 weeks. 4 weeks later and still no designer frames, so i called the store again and this time was told 3 weeks.. meanwhile 7 weeks with no designer frames at £300 a pair!!

i called in today rather miffied and no one seemed to know what was going on so i went back to work, 15 minutes later i recieved a call from the store manager apologising for the delay.

She offered me these solutions... Wait for the frames to arrive (still no confirmed delivery date) and recieve £100 back as discount

choose another pair of frames up to the value of the existing pair

or take a full refund on the faulty pair, but, heres the snag, i have to pay the extra for my additional pair that i got as a reduced rate.

i work for a leading hight street retailer and if we ever have promotions such as these and a customer has a faulty item, we honour the reduction on the second item as good will as a customer is for life, is thes the case accross all retailers??? am i within my rights to keep the discounted frames at no extra cost.

please help!

Milly (long sighted with no spare glasses lol)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Milly,

Welcome to the forum and a great question. It really depends on the exact terms of the offer. However, the general principle is that you are returned to the position you were in before the transaction took place, so another option is for a full refund and you return the second pair. As they have been custom made they would just let you keep them.

I need to sleep on it...

Tony