Not So Hot Currys

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I'm not a happy chap with Curry's.

I'm seldom a happy chap anyway, but there is a reason for this.

We've just got a new HD TV and had it installed and we needed the new HDMI cables to go with it. We spoke to the installer who warned me that companies will try to fob you off with expensive cables, when often the cheaper cables are absolutely fine. I nodded sagely and went online to sort out myself with a cable. I already had one cable for the Cable TV. That cable was 2m long and just about fitted. The PS3 I was connecting was about 30cm closer to the TV, so I knew the cable needed to be about 1.7+ metres long.

I went online to Curry's and picked a cable costing £19.95 that was 1.8m long. I ordered it for collection. Unfortunately I wasn't able to collect it so I rang my wife who was out shopping, and she said she'd pick it up for me. I gave her the details and the reference number which she noted down.

Now my wife wasn't around when the installer explained the issue with the cables to me. She went into Currys and went to the desk to ask for the cable. A "salesman" came over, I use the quotation marks because I feel "conman" may be more appropriate. He said that the cable we had would "do the job", but that in order to get true High Definition, we would need this type of cable. To illustrate the difference in quality he showed my wife three Televisions showing the same film. One with a HDMI connection, one with a Scart, one with a normal old fashioned style Analogue connection and and told her that to get the "best quality" she'd need this cable.

He produced a Belkin cable that cost £69.99.

Knowing I was pathetically excited at my new toy, my wife didn't want me to be disappointed and duly paid for the more expensive cable. She came home and explained it to me as I proudly displayed the TV. I checked this wondrous cable that would provide TV of a quality no man had ever seen before and compared it to the one I ordered. It was different in two ways. The price. Fifty pounds more expensive And the length, 1.5m, and therefore too short to do the job anyway.

Suffice to say the cable went back this morning and we were given a full refund. I've bought a cable from PC World for £19.95 and it is every bit as good quality as the £69.95 cable.

My wifes crime? Asking for advice. I understand there is an economic downturn, but that is no reason to effectively con people. A letter is winging its way to Head office as we speak.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I too am not a fan of Currrys, or any store that trains there staff to sell, sell, sell.

Customer loyalty comes from helpful staff who want to sell you the best product for your needs, not staff who are pushing certain products that they've been told to push, or more expensive products to bump up their commission.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
They have pushed this trick for years. I think there is a difference to be had, but only if you're running a stadium-sized setup.