Baby's Clothing

spitfireUK

Apr 20, 2009
Hello Everyone.

I recently purchased a jacket and trouser set from Debenhams for my 6 month old daughter. After three wears and three washes, a tassle that was attached to the metal zip 'handle' (the bit you use to pull the zip up and down) had come off and my daughter was playing with the detached peice of cloth, which could have easily been swallowed.

From the 'Returning faulty or damaged goods' section, it says

"If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse"

Now, I would personally expect clothing made for a 6 month old child to be able to resist the attentions of that said child. We took the item back to Debenhams who said it would have to be 'sent off for testing' to make sure there was not an inherant fault with the item. They have been in possesion of the item for two weeks now, and they have been in touch to say that 'it is not a manufacturing fault' and therefore, they cannot give us a repair/refund/replacement.

I will be contesting this when I go to pick up the item, with my new found knowledge (thanks everyone on whatconsumer!). My Concern though, is if they do see sense and offer a replacement, my daughter will have grown out of the size that we originally purchased. Will I be entitled to a replacement that is the next size up from the original garment?

Can anybody see any issues with where I stand on getting a replacement? Does the fact they have sent it off 'for testing' change anything? Should they have been allowed to send it off in the first place?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your replies.

EDIT: I have now realised that this may be in the incorrect forum. Apologies for that. :(

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum,

If they had any sense they would just give you a new one at the right size - it is called good customer service.

Tony

spitfireUK

Apr 20, 2009
Hi and welcome to the forum,

If they had any sense they would just give you a new one at the right size - it is called good customer service.

Tony
Evidence of either sense or good service has been sorely lacking I'm afraid! :p

Actually thats a little harsh. The woman at the store seemed helpful enough but was hamstrung by Debenhams (new?) returns policy.

We will be going to see the store manager at weekend to pick up our 'faulty' item and deliver a letter of complaint. If anyone has any good advice then please share it!

I'll be sure to post the results here.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There is criminal legislation regarding unsafe products - it might be worth mentioning this without being threatening. You should report it To Trading Standards. If it were unsafe they would have To do a recall

spitfireUK

Apr 20, 2009
Hi everyone, just a quick update on this farce.

We went to the store as planned on Saturday, to speak with the department manager.

In a previous phone conversation with the department manager, she asked us when we would be coming to the store. We told her Saturday, and she insisted that we ask to speak to her personally when we arrived.

We arrived on Saturday, only to be told that she doesn't work Saturdays, and therefore wasn't in.

Unfortunately we then had to leave because our daughter's next feed was overdue, so we were unable to resolve anything then.

I'll update again when I have anything more.