Help me please. Insurance policy

asadali

Apr 29, 2009
Hi Guys

Heres my story

My cousin was driving his dads car with a provisional license (idiot) and got caught by the police they have seized the car and advised to get somebody who is insured on the car to pick it up. My uncle (cousins dad) is unable to come to the police station with his documents to pick the car up. So he asked me if I could get insurance and pick the car up.

I then searched on the INTERNET and found a company who offers like a 1 day insurance service. However we did not read the whole terms and conditions properly and it states that this policy does not cover you to remove the car from a police impound. so basically its useless, ive contacted the company concerned and they advised that as I agreed to the terms and conditions that I cannot get a refund

Is there anything I can do to gt a refund?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

ALI

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Ali,

You are allowed a cooling off period of 7 days for products bought over the phone or internet etc. This is provided for in the Distance Selling Regulations. They can charge you for what you used if you do cancel i.e. the day so it is not much help.

Tony

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Would the police not allow someone with their own insurance to pick the car up? I am insured - admittedly 3rd Party only, to drive any car with the owners permission - is this not an option?
Just another thought - could your uncle add you to his insurance as a named driver - I have done that for a few days at a time when my daughter needs a car..........

Last edited:

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
From what I believe, if you have car insurance and the owner of the car that has been seized has insurance, then with the owner's permission you should be entitled to legally drive away the impounded car. It would be worth while giving your insurance company a call as these things often tend to have limitations, such as you must be of a certain age to be covered, usually 25.

Also, are you aware that there may be a hefty fee to pay before the police will release the car. If the car was towed to the impound then there may be the towing fee to pay, along with the cost of keeping the car in the impound, which is usually charged at a daily rate.