Warranty Misrepresentation

applelipgloss

Apr 30, 2009
Dear all,

I purchased a guitar from an online retailer where it was stated on the website that the warranty for the guitar will be limited lifetime. The same is also stated on the website of official distributor for the guitar. However, after the purchase, when I reconfirmed the warranty period, the online retailer told me that it was only 1 year. I asked the retailer to confirm this with the manufacturer, this was more than a month ago. And, fast forward to now, I recently sent an email reminding the retailer for a reply to my query on the warranty period, and they came back to me confirming that the warranty is indeed only 1 year.

Well, I am disappointed because the lifetime warranty was one of main points that made me choose to buy that particular brand of guitar. I have not asked but I doubt that the manufacturer will honour the advertised lifetime warranty period on the guitar. It is now past the cooling off period and I can't return the product on those grounds. What can I do now if I want to return the guitar based misrepresented warranty period?

Further note, I am located in Republic of Ireland and the online retailer is in UK. Does this affect my statutory rights as a consumer?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Adeline

applelipgloss

Apr 30, 2009
I found out that the warranty period misrepresentation constitutes a breach in The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 act, part 2, subsection 5, paragraph 2(a).

Refer to OPSI.gov.uk for that piece of legislation.

I will try to push this first and see if I can get anything done.

If there's anything that I ought to know, please feel free to contribute. Thanks.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I was wondering if you had a print out of the page that you originally saw, stating limited lifetime warranty, just in case they change the info.
Are the limitations reasonable? It may be that you do have the lifetime warranty that you wanted, but they obviously cannot give you a lifetime guarantee on strings etc....? Just a thought!

kris1anne

Jan 29, 2009
Limited lifetime is a really tricky area as the most recent definition is " the lifetime of the product" not the buyer, so this could be ten years or ten months - it really depends what your paperwork says so like the others I think you need to get that out.

garethsmyth

May 20, 2009
Bolton
Hi,

Reject the goods; send the product back and demand your money back. You have relied on the description, you are protected by distance selling regulations and the Sale of Goods Act 1979; see section 13 of same. If they refuse to do this and you paid by credit card (if the transaction was above £100) you can claim the money back from your credit card company under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Hope this helps.