BBC Watchdog: On the programme - Monday 4 May

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
In the news
Banks have this week come under fresh fire from MPs for making "an astonishing mess" of the financial system, while the words 'recession' and 'credit crunch' continue to fill the headlines.

Recession can be a worrying time, so it's comforting to hear that sales of Y-fronts are booming. A spokesman for Debenhams suggested this is due to the "greater sense of security" they provide compared to boxer shorts.

Read the full story: Recession 'boosts Y-front sales'.

And as more eco homes go on sale, BBC media correspondent Nick Higham looks at energy efficient eco-pod homes that promise to save people lots of money. Watching the short video tour of the eco-pod didn't take long at all. In fact, the pods are so small it's not surprising they cost so little to heat.

Levi Roots - the man who braved Dragons' Den and came out triumphant - shares his advice for anyone starting their own business. He says: "It's important in a recession for families to pull together, show initiative and be enterprising. When small businesses thrive, communities thrive."

Hear more of his crucial advice in this clip: Levi Roots on business.

The week has of course also been filled with reports and updates on the swine flu outbreak. Several countries have restricted travel to Mexico and many tour operators have cancelled holidays.

Find out your rights to a refund if your flight is cancelled.

Nicky Campbell put questions from 5 Live listeners to travel and health experts after the World Health Organisation raised the alert level over swine flu and the Foreign Office advised against travel to Mexico.

Download this podcast and listen to all of Nicky's weekly debates on the 5 Live website.

Lonely Planet travel journalist Tom Hall will be coming into the studio on Monday to answer queries about how safe it is to travel. We'll publish his advice on the Watchdog website after the programme.

Your comments
There have been a record number of postings on the blogs on Monday evening after the programme. So apologies to those of you who had to wait until Tuesday morning to see them published on the website. Comments to the Watchdog website are legally contentious and need to be carefully moderated.

The DVLA story has had the most comments so far, with many people feeling angry and frustrated that they've had to pay out for a new licence unnecessarily.

Comment 51 - thoms6 - sent the following advice in after watching the DVLA removing licence entitlements report:

"Seems to me the answer to this is, don't send your old licence back, keep it and say you've lost it, that's what I have done,. I got my new one without a problem, and at least I still have the old one if there are any major problems."

Since developing breast cancer, one woman has had several operations and been unable to work. But her critical illness cover hasn't paid her a penny because her cancer isn't critical enough, apparently. Lots of you have been writing in about this story.

Comment 41- rwracer66 says: "My husband has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer and despite having to have both radio- and chemotherapy, and with surgery to remove part of his bowel planned for early May, our critical illness insurance is refusing to pay, saying he has only got a 'benign lesion'!"

While comment 54 - ALakey says: "So far 11 of my clients have claimed on their critical illness plans and all have had cancer and all have been paid out. It would be a dreadful shame if Claire's sad story turned people away from taking sensible steps to protect them and their families."

We're glad in the office that Julia's choice of clothes for last week's programme went down so well. Gr8vel says: "Loved Julia's suit - that's my only comment on the show."

If you can't wait until next Monday to see Julia again, remember you can watch Wainwright Walks online anytime.

Coming up on the programme
For the bank holiday show, we've been looking into the state of British customer service. We'll have the results of the questionnaire showing what annoys you most and whether, given the economic climate, businesses are trying harder or cutting back.

We've also tested the five most complained about customer service phone lines to see who likes to keep you hanging on the line. We'll reveal which company came out worst on Monday 4 May.

Plus, more on the DVLA messing up people's licences and the latest on swine flu.

On the programme - Monday 4 May