UK furniture fire certificates .

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
We are moving into a new property soon - after getting gazumped twice!
I know that there are many bargains to be obtained with used/seconds furniture, but don't want to buy something which then is a problem due to not having the necessary certificates.
How do I know what is legal and correct to buy? We will be thinking of all furniture - carpets, beds, sofas, chairs, kitchen machines, etc.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I think the UK market is pretty good in this respect. If you are buying form a leading retailer you won't have a problem

Tony

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
That is true. I like to look around at charity shops and second hand shops as well, I think that is where the problem starts. The more reputable shops know what to look for, and avoid stocking items that are illegal to sell. However, there is no way of knowing the real policy of each outlet.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
It is worth knowing that Charity shops are as bound by law as any other retailer to ensure that their stock complies with safety standard regulation. Buyer beware however, as it will not help you feel any better if, as your house crumbles to ashes, you are able to say - that shop broke the law! The larger chains such as The Red Cross, and Oxfam are likely to be hotter on this than small independents, as they have central depots employing professionals to check items out.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Does that also apply to establishments open to the public, such as bars and restaurants? There seem to be several places here where the furniture is too old to comply with any fire certificates.
For that matter, does the house of commons comply, or maybe it does not have to?