Spray Tan

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I had a spray tan before my last holiday, which was early in the year and so I was very winter white.
Love to know what others think, but I won't bother again.
I quite enjoyed the process - the beautician was friendly and professional - but I looked very fake for several hours afterwards and the list of does and don'ts was inhibiting - it might rub off on tight clothes, light coloured upholstery, don't bath or shower for 12 hours, - after that time don't bath/shower for long, pat dry don't rub, and don't bathe in sea or pool.
Well the bedsheets survived intact, but two days into my holiday I couldn't resist the pool, and I might as well not have bothered to spend £30. Basically, I looked tanned on the aeroplane going! I thought the tan would act like the home fake-tans that used to dye you orange but are now much improved. This seemed more like make up. I admit to not researching what I was getting - we are not spoilt for salon choice here and I just asked for a fake tan - perhaps other sorts last longer?
Any thoughts anyone?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have had a spray tan once. I told the beautician that I wanted a healthy glow. I got what I asked for. The tan looked wonderful and natural. The problem was as you said, the not showering for 12 hours and avoiding tight clothes, and within 3 days the tan had completely disappeared, so it seemed a lot of hassle and expense for not very much.

I probably won't bother again, the main reason being that the tan didn't last long enough.

keriSt09

Jun 18, 2009
I actually made the same experiences you already reported here. I must admit that I was very satisfied with the result but for me personally it also did not last long enough. I think I would only do it once again for a special occasion like a wedding or something like that.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've also tried fake tan before, Dove tinted moisturiser. The first time I used it I put far too much on and my skin felt greasy for hours. It turned out patchy and far too dark. Now, if I use it (which is rare) I put it on very sparingly, which eliminates the greasy feel and gives me a slight tan that looks natural. I have only ever tried Dove so have nothing to compare it with.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
As a bloke......

I don't understand this fake tan business.

Mind you, I don't understand people that jet off on holiday then spend most of the time just lying there on the beach either.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Surely the idea of a holiday is to do something that one cannot do in normal routine daily life. Most people cannot lie about on a beach in UK - they would freeze!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, but my idea of going places is actually walking around and exploring.

If I spent the time sat on a beach (or in a bar) I would go spare.

Oh, and people who travel miles and miles then head straight for a global brand like McDonalds also annoy me. Go on, be dangerous and try a local shop. You'll probably like it.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I'd say that if a person on vacation does what they want to do, and enjoys it, they will probably consider that they have a good holiday. I would agree - cannot see the point of going to McDonalds on vacation (or any other time) but everybody enjoys different things. I can see enjoyment in lazing on a long lonely beach with a cool beer, underneath a palm tree.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
What I like to do is laze on the beach with some decent sunglasses, and read a great big stack of books. Reading is a luxury I usually confine to 20 minutes in bed before sleep - reading during the day seems very decadent, a bit 'Bloomsbury', so to me, it's what holidays are for!

MagnersPear

Jul 7, 2009
My routine is I use one of those moisturizers with built in tan all week (they are very cheap and easy to apply) and then when I need to top up, (i.e before a big night out, holiday etc) I use St.Tropez. Its a bit more expensive but if you use one of the special mitts I find it does a great job, and is so much cheaper than a spray tan!

MagnersPear

Jul 7, 2009
I used to use sunbeds but would definitely not recommend this now, there has been so much research lately that show it is bad for your health even in small doses I wont be doing it again, fake tan is the way forward! But each to their own

kimrh

Apr 24, 2009
You can get some really professional spray tans to use at home now, but if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself why not (as some of the other posters have suggested) use the moisturisers with natural looking developing fake tan in them? It will only take a few days applications to see the results and you don't have to avoid water for the following 12hours - oh and you could buy about 10 bottles for the price of a professional spray tan! :)

guydoesit

May 3, 2011
try fake bake natural fake tan. It gives the best tanning effect but a little trick would be to use toothpaste to take off the tan after you put it on.