Ongoing airconditioning repair

panfield

May 13, 2009
Hi,

I purchased a brand new Audi A4 in September of 2004. On the journey home, after picking the car up from the dealer, I noticed that the air conditioning wasn't working. When I contacted the dealer they suggested I took it to my local Audi dealer for repair. On doing so I was told that the system had no gas in it. This was replaced the next day and everthing was now OK. The following spring of 2005 the airconditioning again failed. I took it to my local dealer who told me that the gas had leaked. This time they had re-gassed the system and had also put a dye in to trace leaks. In the spring of 2006 the airconditioning failed again. I went back to the local dealer who told me that they had traced the leak (using the dye) repaired the fault and re-gassed the system again. The following year, and each subsequent year, the airconditioning system has failed. Last week I took it to the local dealer who said they had now discovered two possible faults and the repair would be either £330.69 or £597.86! They also tried to charge me over £70.00 to re-gas the system again, but I refused to pay. Where do I stand on this matter?

Regards

Panfield

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Do you have any documentation for the previous repairs? If so, I would writed to the dealer who sold you the car and copy the letter to two Audi head office personnel, marking on the letters who you have copied to. State clearly that as the car has had this fault from new, that under the sale of goods act, it has never fulfilled the contract of sale and that whilst you are prepared to put up with repairs being made, you do not feel it appropriate that you be charged for this work. Offer them the alternative of supplying you a new car! Good Luck!