two great outlets in Mid Wales

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
If you happen to be passing through Mid-Wales in the holiday season, don't miss two great value places in Mid Wales.
Charlie's stores is a family run business that has expanded over the years. They have shops in Newtown, and Aberystwyth and offer unbeatable prices on homeware, hardware, gardening stuff and a fantastic range of tools and machinery. Near Welshpool they have opened Coed-y-Dinas, which you could visit in combination with Powis castle. At Coed-y-Dinas, they have a garden centre as well as all the household stuff, and a large gifty bit, craft supplies and a cafe! Round here, people go for the day!
The other consumer gem is Harry Tuffin's - another family business. It's a supermarket (Car Boot sale and Market every Sunday) in Churchstoke (smaller ones in Craven Arms, Ludlow and Knighton). It is a bit tatty and not in any way stylish, but the range is amazing and the value excellent. If I want some unusual wheat-free stuff for my DH, I go there, or if I want large size products for my cheap cleaning (eg.5lt Vinegar), and 5lt Ecover washing up liquid I go there. They also have a no frills cafe, a launderette and a hairdresser, as well as really good deals on petrol when you spend over a certain amount.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
And if any of you are down in Cornwall, Trago Mills in Falmouth is worth a visit. At least, it used to be although I have not been there for a while. Incredibly cheap household goods (including garden furniture I think) all going for a song. Don't expect the interior of the shop to be glitzy. It's more like a warehouse.