What's the best way to save?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Over the last twelve months I have been dipping in to my savings quite a bit. I am now at the point where I am trying to start saving again. I have always saved using a basic savings account with my bank, but I'm thinking of branching out in an attempt to make the most of my savings.

Should I be shopping around for a good savings account? If so, any recommendations? What about alternatives, shares and bonds and so on. Basically, I want secure savings, minimal risk and not too much hassle.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Ensure that you use your ISA entitlement each year, as a start. Then you need to calculate what amount you will have available to save each or month.
Ask at your bank as to what products they would recommend. Then, I suggest, bring those suggestions to this forum - you might get some very good alternative ideas.

G_M

Feb 1, 2009
savings

Do NOT ask at your bank! They will only be interested in recommending (let's be honest 'selling') their own accounts.

Go somewhere independant to find the best account eg moneyfacts.co.uk.

Or just try the Tesco savings account. £1 minimum. Instant access. Unlimited withdrawals. 2.25% interest. If your bank has implemented 'Faster Payments' you can transfer to/from your current account same day (almost instantly).

But be warned they are VERY slow sending out the card reader you need to make withdrawals (and don't actually tell you you need it till you try to withdraw so apply at once!). You can arrange withdrawals by phone though.

Good luck!