How do I choose a loft ladder

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I am about to get a loft ladder. Other than making sure I have enough space for it to extend, is there anything else I need to think about. Also, is there anything other than the ladder I would need to purchase (for example to make it secure).

hip-consultant.co.uk

Premium Member
Mar 13, 2009
www.hip-consultant.co.uk
Not too sure about individual ladders but would certainly advise if you are converting a loft space to make sure you meet the appropriate regulations.

We carry out work for clients who have occaisinally converted loft spaces without building regs, this can cause no end of problems when selling. Building regs departments are often very helpful and can advise on what is needed and are there to ensure a 'good' job is carried out, protecting the consumer.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I'm not converting the loft to use an extra room, just boarding it out and adding some lighting so that I can use it for storage. Would I be right in assuming that I can just go ahead and do this without consulting anybody, such as a building regualtions department?

goodfellow

Nov 1, 2011
Glasgow
Loft Ladders Glasgow

If you are considering buying a loft ladder you should consider how often you will be using it and also how heavy the load would be going up and down the ladder. A good loft ladder would normally be rated to 150kg or more. Aluminium loft ladders costing under £100 are for occasional use only and tend to flex and creak a bit compared to wooden loft ladders. Wooden loft ladder with built in hatches like the Youngman Eco S Line are very sturdy and quiet, require no stowage space in the loft and are great for more frequent use. You may however have to elongate your loft opening to accommodate it though.
Loft hatches should always be converted to the swing down type for ease of use. Most aluminium loft ladders come with a kit to do this conversion. The swing down loft hatch should be unlocked and opened from the floor and the loft ladder should also be pulled down without you leaving the floor. A good quality value for money aluminium loft ladder is the 3 section Lyte Ladders Easiloft loft ladder, it's rated to 150kg and comes with the hatch conversion kit and pole. You can usually buy either of these loft ladders on Ebay at good prices.

Last edited:

goodfellow

Nov 1, 2011
Glasgow
Re: Loft Ladders Glasgow

If you are considering buying a loft ladder you should consider how often you will be using it and also how heavy the load would be going up and down the ladder. A good loft ladder would normally be rated to 150kg or more. Aluminium loft ladders costing under £100 are for occasional use only and tend to flex and creak a bit compared to wooden loft ladders. Wooden loft ladder with built in hatches like the Youngman Eco S Line are very sturdy and quiet, require no stowage space in the loft and are great for more frequent use. You may however have to elongate your loft opening to accommodate it though.
Loft hatches should always be converted to the swing down type for ease of use. Most aluminium loft ladders come with a kit to do this conversion. The swing down loft hatch should be unlocked and opened from the floor and the loft ladder should also be pulled down without you leaving the floor. A good quality value for money aluminium loft ladder is the 3 section Lyte Ladders Easiloft loft ladder, it's rated to 150kg and comes with the hatch conversion kit and pole. You can usually buy either of these loft ladders on Ebay at good prices.
Glasgow loft ladder company Pryde & Sons supply the Lyte Ladders Easiloft 3 section aluminium loft ladder.

Steve Jordan

Dec 6, 2013
Important are mainly 3 aspects:
1. The measurements: Meassure the cut-out of your loft.
2. Material: Chose between wood and aluminium. Question of taste and weight (wood is heavier),
3. Find a matching ladder: Look up some you like (Google, Amazon, Ebay, etc.) and download the Installation Manual (Google will be good to find these). The Manual will tell you which dimensions the respective ladder requires and than it's up to you to check if your loft cut-out matches them.

You find loft ladders with and without panels covering the cut out. In most if not all cases all small parts are part of the ladder.

Attention: Don't buy a ZARGES 2 part or 3 part loft ladder. They are IDENTICAL to the respective models from ABRU, but will cost you TWICE!!! ZARGES admits that they source their ladders from ABRU, and even the Installation Manual says ABRU.

RussellMPowell

Jul 6, 2016
Thanks for the tip goodfellow. I’ll sticky note this thread. I’m planning to buy a ladder, too, so the info that you gave will be very helpful.

KathrynMBuchanan

Jul 13, 2016
Thanks for the tip. My husband's been planning to buy one for months. He can't seem to find one that suits his needs though, or is he being too picky.