dodgy bike , private sale

rob440

May 25, 2009
Please help, made a booboo .
ive just brought a motorbike from a private seller,The bike was advertised as average to good condition and having no nasty or unusual noises, i emailed the seller to confirm the bike was mechanicaly perfect and he replied it was, i went to look at the bike and it seemed a fair price, £2200 , i did the normal hpi checks , checked the chassis numbers, v5 and all seemed fine, the guy was a bike enthusiast, I was unable to ride the bike as i had no insurance at the time but i heard it running , checked the gears, brakes ect again i asked him to confirm there were no unusual noises or knocks to which he wrote a receipt stateing no faults or defects and it was his property to sell, He delivered the bike, 2 days later
i insured the bike and rode it for the first time and to my horror the engine has a noticable knock/noise, to make matters worse i had a friend look at the bike and was informed that the chassis numbers although correct may not be factory ones and part of the engine numbers are defaced,, i have only done around 7 miles on the bike since i purchased it ,i have emailed the guy
informing him of this and that i wasnt happy with the bike and ther was some question to the authentisity of the bike, he has replied saying he is busy and will have to take legal advice ,
i did see the bike at the owners addresse and he did seem genuine and said he didnt know ,he is suppose to be an enthusiast !!!
i dont know for a fact the motorcycle is stolen or ringed but i have my suspicions, it definatly has an engine noise under load . I know im probably going to loose the bike , is there anyway of getting my money back as the bike is not as described and he may not be the legal owner

Last edited:

rob440

May 25, 2009
Sorry , just realised ive posted this in the wrong section,
Can admin move or delete it ?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Rob, you have no way of knowing whether the fault developed after you bought it - private sales are not covered by your "satisfactory quality" statutory right so you have little chance of getting your money back. If you suspect a crime has been committed contact the police. HTH Tony

rob440

May 25, 2009
Hi Tony , thanks for the reply ,
i realise i have little protection when buying privately, but i was under the impression the goods have to be as described and the seller has to have legal title to sell the vehicle, as far as as described is concearned i have only done under 7 miles and contacted the seller imediatly to let him know there was a problem, also surely if the vehicle turns out to be stolen then he is not the legal owner and had no right to sell the vehicle,