Should I tip the food delivery person?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
A friend of mine recently told me that she tips the delivery person that delivers her online food shop. I don't. It's never even crossed my mind. I even question whether they are supposed to accept money. I tip when I eat out, and I tip when I have a take-away delivered. I tip the hairdresser. At Christmas, I tip the milkman, the window cleaner and so on. Should I be tipping the food delivery person too?

How much should I tip anybody anyway, this is something I've thought about before, never sure whether I'm tipping too much or too little. What is the general rule when it comes to how much to tip?

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I think we should phase out tipping and pay all workers a decent wage. We don't tip for excellence, we do tip in the places you mention. What does it mean "tipping" - does it mean I know you are paid little so here's a top up? In which case we could tip lots more people. Does it mean you have gone that little bit further and been outstanding, in which case tipping is rare but meaningful. If you don't tip the checkout girl and the bag packer, why tip the delivery man? If you do tip the waiter why not tip the chef? It's a minefield!!!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
TracyG you are joking??! No. sorry if I sound horrible but you should absolutely not be tipping. They are carrying out a service but one that they are paid a decent wage for doing. I'm sure they don't expect tips. I always find it really uncomfortable when I'm in America (not that I go there very much) when I feel as though I am expected to get a dollar out every second. It feels to me as though nothing there is done out of kindness anymore but always out of expectation of a tip and I think that's very sad. So tip for good service only, and I mean a wonderful waiter or waitress who really makes your evening feel even more special than it was going to be.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I would also be loathe to. The thing with a waiter (and chef, most decent restaurants will have an arrangement to share a portion of the tip with the kitchen staff) is that they can really make your night. They could either just "drop your food off" on the table and walk away, or be attentive through the night, engage in a little conversation and make sure all your needs are met.

No offence, the delivery driver just drops stuff off...

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I have never really understood tipping. A person who tips is not consistant: they tip a waiter, but not a supermarket checkout person. Either they should tip everybody for doing the job that they are already paid for, or they should tip nobody.

kimrh

Apr 24, 2009
I just went to the States for the first time last month, and it took me the whole week to get used to (and not begrudge) tipping people - they rely on it over there - customer service is taken a lot more seriously and waiting is a career for many, so I can understand it. But here, where most people you deal with in shops and restaurants don't even have the courtesy to give you eye contact (in my experience) I would never tip them...

andersonsophie_89

Apr 26, 2014
But in amercia the tip make up the wage, as they dont get full minimum wage like we do here. It is custom for tipping over there.

DavidBlack

May 22, 2015
I don't see why you would need to. If you can afford it, and there is great service... of course.

But not by default...

Folkys86Kevin

Jan 15, 2016
Later reply, but if their service is great and they're friendly, then sure (and of course, can afford a little extra). But it certainly isn't required :p

mbkimberley

Dec 21, 2015
Shepshed UK
personally i would say no, all theyre doing is quickly knocking on your door to pass you your food, its not like they are there to ensure you have a lovely evening like a waiter would be doing at a restaurant.