Brand new Dell PC (Inspiron 545) faulty from day one!! Help please???

sapphireoceans

Jun 10, 2009
My new Dell inspiron 545 (package incl. monitor, speakers, mouse & keyboard) was delivered to me on May 27th 2009. Since the first time I turned the machine on, I had errors appearing on the screen regarding the keyboard and mouse software, SetPoint. Keyboard, mouse and software are Logitech products but bought as a package sold by Dell.

I reported the issue over the phone to Dell approx 4 days later as I had to wait that time to have my internet setup remodelled to fit around this machine and thought I could update the drivers for the mouse and keyboard when I was able to go online and the issue would be solved. When speaking to Dell about this, they told me that because the products sold in their bundle were manufactured by Logitech, it was Logitech that had to deal with it.. and I was given a number to call them.

Logitech went through many options with me on the phone, all to no avail. They then said that they would email me instructions on some further possible solutions and they did.. and I followed them to the letter but the problems are still there and I'm still having error messages every time I turn on the machine and the advice sent in the email has clearly not worked.

When I boot up the machine now, I get 'keyboard failure' almost every time and have to turn off from the mains and try again. That alone is damaging the machine.

I wrote back to Logitech and explained the situation and received the following message from them (6 days later!!!):

My apologies for the late response.
We checked if we could find out what the error message that you get is about. The error 0xc0150004 seems to be a common error with all kinds of programs. Possibly a registry fault. It's not a Logitech specific error.

We can advise on some steps for you to try to solve this issue.
First remove Setpoint from Progrmas and Features in Control panel.

After that, remove Setpoint from the registry.
Go to Start. In the searchfield type regedit and press enter. The registry will now open.
- Click on the + or arrow in front of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Click on the + or arrow in front of Software
- Click on the + or arrow in front of Logitech (If listed in the registry)

- You could then find 2 folders or keys called "Setpoint" and "KHAL"
- If these are present, right click on them and choose Remove or delete.
You can now close the registry.

Next remove your temporary files.
Go to the start menu. In the search field type %temp% and press Enter.
A screen with your temp files and folder will pop-up. Please remove as much files and folders from this screen as possible.

Now go to C:\program files
Check if there is a folder called Logitech. If there is, open this folder. If there is a folder called Setpoint in the Logitech folder, delete it.

Now install the program CCleaner from (they provided a link which has been removed because I'm a new poster here)
WHen you open this program, you can scan the registry for any issues. If it finds any issue, you can choose to fix them. You will then get a pop-up asking if you want to make a back-up of your registry. Do not forget to make this back-up.

You can also make this back-up before you start CCleaner. In that case, open the registry as explained before. On the top of the screen click on File => Export. Then save the regitry to a place where you can easily find it again.

Finally we advise you to scan Windows for damaged files. To do this, go to the Start menu. In the searchfield type sfc /scannow
It will now scan for damaged files. If files need to be repaired, you might be asked to insert your Windows cd.

After all this, try to reinstall Setpoint and see if it works.

Kind regards,

Marten van der Zee
Logitech Europe SA
Customer Support

These instructions were exactly the same steps they sent me in the first email and so obviously, they have not worked.

After Dell refusing to help me and Logitech clearly not being interested, I sent Dell an email (in a reply to the case I'd already filed with them) requesting that the entire thing be collected and that I be refunded as it was not fit for the purpose they sold it for, which it isn't, and that their unwillingness to help solve the issues was beyond disappointing! I have had no response from them and this was on June 6th.

I called Dell back today (now actually) and have currently been on hold for almost 40 minutes. Been passed from Tech support to customer care only to be told by someone IN customer care that customer care was now closed and I'd have to call back tomorrow. I am now waiting to be passed back to Tech support and am dreading my next phone bill.

This PC cost me almost £800 and I am thoroughly disgusted with Dell's handling of this matter. I also paid to upgrade my warranty to a 3 yr in home warranty and that now seems ridiculous as it is apparently totally useless. I can't believe how awful their customer service is.

I really don't know what to do. I'm not well as it is and this is making me worse.

Can someone please offer some advice? I would be most grateful to anyone who reads this and has anything information to offer me?

Thank you so much, Laura x

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Personally I couldn't give you concrete guidance on whether you are due a refund at this stage (it's possible that they have the right to replace or repair, I'll let someone clever like Tony confirm that).

But what I can say is that they shouldn't be brushing you off to Logitech. You bought it from THEM, you have a "on site" support package and they should be visiting you, or arranging for someone from Logitech, to get to your house and have a look at this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Chutzpah is absolutely right they shouldn't be fobbing you off and asking you to go to Logitek they should sort it for you, especially as you have a home support package.

It is possible to "reject" goods becuase they are faulty but the longer you have had it the more difficult this is.

Tony

Devon2811

Jun 29, 2009
Dell

Sorry, this is no help, but DEll have an appaling customer service , if you can get to a dept well done!! Would suggest that you go in hard from day one , advise Trading Standards and also , if you paid by credit card re quest a refund from your card provider. Dont mess about with Dell, they wont back up anything they say or email you, get it in writing, drives them nuts!

Devon2811

Jun 29, 2009
Dell

Hi Laura
Just got some steam off, didn't answer your question!!

Log with trading standards, uder the "Sale of Goods Act" advise DEll that goods are "not of a saleable quality" and demand a refund. Trading Standards are very helpfull and will word your reply for you.If you did purcase uder a credit card then a letter to your company requesting a refund, finaly a letter to the store where you purchased your computer, they are also obliged to sort out any problems. Good luck with DEll

Cheekymonkey

Apr 16, 2010
Hi Laura,
I'm realy sorry to hear about you're problems with dell,I can't realy offer any advice because I have had similar dealings with them myself, I tried everything even bombarding them with e-mails asking them to send them up the chain of command to the bosses, all to no avail.
They even told me that they don't have a complaints department ! I said to the "robot" on the other end of the line that they want to take a look around the internet and see how many sites are dedicated to complaints against dell.
In the end I got my computer repaired by an independant company as it was going to cost me more on phone calls than the machine is worth.
All I can say is good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon,
get well soon ,
Cheeky.