Can i get my money back? (clothing)

Tetura

Jun 10, 2009
I purchased a dress 1 month ago, i tried to take it back to new look today because i found that there was a manufactor fault with the dress;
the stitching had come out and if you turned it inside out the stitching was still attached so it was as if the machine had just done one long stitch rather than lots of little ones.
They assistant told me it was 2 days out of the 28 day returns policy and that she couldn't do anything. Now i work in retail and know that the 28 day returns policy doesn't affect my statuary rights when returning faulty goods. I didn't have too much time to argue as i was on my lunch break but she basically wouldn't do anything for me.
I will be returning tomorrow to speak with their manager.

What i'm asking is am i entitled to a full refund? or does it have to be a repair or replacement?
i've worn the dress once and had it a month and the fault was obviously there when i purchased the item.
I'm also a bit annoyed that i now have to go back into town tomorrow as the assistant wouldn't do anything for me today.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
They can offer you a replacement, the shop assistant (as you're more than likely aware) is confusing their 28 day 'no quibble return' guarantee with the law... as they often do.

It might be worth using the poor service you've received as a bargaining tool to get a refund. I've got to be honest that if I was the manager I would just go straight to offering a refund.

If you have any issues in store with the manager being just as... ahem.... silly then their customer service number is:

Store feedback or customer complaints

By phone on 0500 454094 (OPTION 5)
Monday – Friday 8:30am-6pm

Store it in your phone and give it a call whilst you're in town if there's an issue.

Tetura

Jun 10, 2009
thanks very much for your help!
the dress was only £20 - not like it's even an expensive one!
but thanks for the number too! I did ask her for a customer service number in the shop and she said they don't have one which i thought was odd.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Looks like you got the shop grouch then. Of course they have the number somewhere. I've worked with them though, and had my head in my hands enough time when I've heard the latest thing they've said to a customer... hopefully the manager (or anyone else in charge tomorrow) will be much better for you.