Advice pls on shop refusing voucher

Loda

Jun 13, 2009
Hi

Firstly hello i've just joined and thanks in advance for any advice!

I have just found two £50 gift vouchers that i was given as a present that got tucked away when i moved house. I went to a store to spend my £100 and was told that they have expired. There is nothing on the voucher that has an expiry date but the assistant said that this would have been on the receipt of the person who bought the voucher.

I feel as if they've just ripped me off of the £100 as they have taken the money yet won't allow me to use my vouchers. Especially as the vouchers have nothing on them about expiry. This seems to me to be against some consumer law?

Does anybody any thoughts?

Many thanks

Loda

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Loda,

Welcome to the forum. Your rights here relate to the terms of the contract and whether you were aware of these before the vouchers were purchased and a reasonableness test i.e. did they expire after two weeks or two years. The former would be unreasonable the later understandable as the retailer would want to get these off the books.

Hope this helps

Tony

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I can't believe the vouchers didn't have an expiry date on them. How on earth can they get away with that. I would take it further. It's always worth writing a polite letter to somebody further up the chain expressing your disappointment with the shop if you find out that the law isn't actually on your side. Good luck.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I also found this out the hard way - as I recall the vouchers only had a 6-month life and it was in the days before I learnt to fight my corner. Tricky isn't it as Tony says - the contract is between the provider and the purchaser, not the gifted! You could try appealing the head office, as they have after all had the money and what skin is it off their nose to cough up. Is it a well-known store? Appeal to their reputation if so! And write the same letter, copied to at least two people (that's my consumer mantra).

Loda

Jun 13, 2009
thanks for that everyone. I'll try head office as they are at least a year old and let you know if i get anywhere.

CHEERS.