various faults with second hand car

F360DOM

Jun 14, 2009
Three months ago I purchased a 2000 plate Ferrari 360, the dealer had put a years MOT on it and had warned me that the car would need cam belts, soon, and this was negotiated for in the price, this wasn't a problem as the belts need done regularly with this vehicle.

After just leaving the car at a Ferrari garage for a couple of days to change the belts, they have informed me that the car is also due a major service (at a cost of almost 2,000). The dealer told me that the car had just been serviced, which it had a few hundred miles ago, but this was only a minor service, the major service was not mentioned and the minor service was portrayed as the only one required.

Further more, the Ferrari garage has picked up damaged and leaking flexi brake hoses, and corroded brakes discs (around 1500 quid to replace). In addition a couple of leaks from the stearing rack and a split gearbox mounting bush.

Can somebody please tell me if I have any rights from the dealer, as I insist that the service items where never identified, and the brake items surely should have been identified during the mot, as I've only done around 5 - 600 miles since the purchase, and it has been garaged at all times.

Thanks for any help

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It really depends upon what you mean by "the minor service was portrayed as the only one required". If the dealer was purposely trying to mislead you and you can prove it then you may have a case. If the description said just had a *major* service then again you would have a case.

In terms of quality this depends upon the price paid, age etc. Are these faults typical in this make and model of this age?

Ultimately it would be for a judge to decide on this.

In the first instance write to the dealer stating that your statutory rights, as defined in the Sale of Goods Act, have been breached and the car is not of satisfactory quality and you like the dealer to rectify the situation within 14 days. If that doesn't work, you will have to start a small claim - mention that in the letter.

It does seem odd that the service and the MOT didn't find an issue with the brakes that corrode 7-800 miles later. However, I guess it also depends how the car was driven and not just mileage.

Sorry I can't be more help

Tony

F360DOM

Jun 14, 2009
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick response.

I have spoken to the dealer today, and he has basically said, you cant come back to me every time there is a fault with your car. He was apparently unaware of the need for a major service and suggests I take up the problem with the brakes with the MOT station, further to this the faults with the steering rack/gearbox bush should be expected!

Even though these faults have arisen so soon after the vehicle purchase, I really doubt there is any chance of this ignoramus cooperating in any manner and think it may be better to just take the hit a pay for the repairs and full service myself.

The only problem with this, apart from the fact I will probably end up a few thousand out of pocket, is the fact that this rogue is getting one over on me and goodness knows who else!

In light of this, I would like to advise any one else buying a second hand car to be incredibly weary, even if a garage appears reputable, once they have your money they wont be so helpfull! Further more, if buying a performace car, if at all possible get it checked out by a main dealer first, I feel this would have solved all of my problems!

Thanks again

pleading for help

Jun 16, 2009
There are some good dealers out there i recently purchased a 2nd hand car from a local place. on its first drive over 10 miles (only had the car 11 days) the cam belt snapped. initially i was at a loss as to what to do but my wife kept telling me to contact the dealer. i bought the car without any warrenty (or so i thought) and expected a refusal from the dealer. so i plucked up the courage and rang. he response could have knocked me over. he stated that his policy will cover the cost of repair, only problem was he couldnt tow it to the repair garage they used, and knowing the situation is was in and desperate for a car he loaned me there run around. The cost of the car initially was only a £1,000 so didnt ecpect to much. any way i have my car back now with all the repair work done including 10 new valves.
Sorry, i have gone on, there is a law to protect purchasers of second hand cars retail sales - the dealer has by law to give a three month warranty, there is no such ruling "Sold as seen" in car dealership, it is actually illegal to use the phrase Sold as Senn in car dearlership. I would contact your local CAB/trading standards if your faults developed within the 3 month deadline and can be proven to have been faulty or worn beyond acceptable allowancies/limits when purchased.

Nancy1122

Jul 9, 2009
I am not sure whether these hidden facts they come up with, after the buy is over? But before that they convince that the 2nd hand car comes with all warranties and services... If it actually don't, then what's the use in wasting all the money on an old car..!!

MagnersPear

Jul 7, 2009
A friend of mine recently had all sorts of problems with a second hand car also, and she went back to the dealer and really stood her ground and they did fix a lot of the problems. They initially resisted so make sure you are really positive with them. I hope it all goes well for you

Nancy1122

Jul 9, 2009
Do they really provide with all original documents associated with the car?? Otherwise it seems like you pay for a lottery ticket of high value prize and land in gaining nothing!! If we look for a new car then the budget actually has to be raised, which quite not possible at this moment.For that we need to wait for a year or two, which again my husband and I don't wish to...