Check your Statements

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
It is rare, but occasionally banks make mistakes!!!!! I once had a DD appear for a golf club in Kent (we live in Wales). When I contacted the bank they said I had to speak to the golf club myself. I insisted it was nothing to do with me, and their mistake - they eventually concurred and it was sorted, but I understand that many people don't check statements and some have DD still running for services they haven't used in years. I know I am an old fusspot, but I always go through my statements and check off receipts etc. I also keep a list of active DD and standing orders as they add up, and it is easy to forget that DFS sofa that you bought a year ago, or that Woodland Trust mandate that pops up in October. Organisation and preparation are my aims - I am still skint, but it's tidy skintness!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
One of the things I love about my bank is that because they're internet only they have their online page spot on. At any page in the month I can open up my direct debit list and see what hasn't come out of my account yet.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Online banking is a wonderful thing! I check my account frequently (normally in a panic wondering if I have enough money for the rest of the month) and seeing what goes out (and hardly ever in) in front of your eyes does help me keep some semblance of order. I have a terrible memory so it really does help to be able to see all my direct debits.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I also use internet banking. I rarely got around to checking my statements when I was on paper only statements, and though I don't analyse my outgoings thoroughly, but I do keep my eye on them more now that I can view them online.