Alternatives to expensive air fresheners?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've used plug-ins, automatic sprays, scented candles, etc, and though they do the job, they don't come cheap. Does anybody know any alternative ways to keep my house smelling fresh without the expense?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, not having pets :D

My parents use one of those air fresheners that pumps out a different fragrance every 10 mins. I can't stand the thing.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I only have an expensive one for you but I think that one the whole it's probably more cost effective, smells nicer and lasts longer, etc ... those reeds that are then placed in a bottle of plum/jasmine etc perfume. Every time the fragrance starts fading you turn the reeds around. I have had mine since Christmas and they are still going strong but they do cost around £40.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Have you tried bring home some wild flowers cut from the hedges. Costs nothing and it a lot more attractive than a plasic air freshener.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Throw open the windows every morning for half an hour!! That is true air 'freshening', everything else is pong masking, unless it is a genuine neutraliser!
Instead of shake and vac type things, use bicarbonate of soda, which is nature's own odour eater.
A few drops of essential oil somewhere where it gets warmed - in a sunny window, on a radiator - Lemon is invigorating, Lavender great in a bedroom as it is very soothing, Rose improves mood, Jasmine is sensual (!)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Happywriter, I think you get into trouble these days for picking wild hedge flowers because all the birds and bees need them!