Do you haggle?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have haggled over the phone with T. Mobile and Virgin Media before and feel that I was successful. I don't haggle in stores very often, I tend to feel awkward and uncomfortable, though I successfully haggled in Comet once, getting a reasonable discount when buying a number of items.

I've been told by several people that haggling is worthwhile, and heard of people getting good discounts off items such as cars, computers, and clothes. Does it pay to haggle?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I only bother on high value items as they often:

a) have a high margin anyway, so the seller can afford to haggle
b) they are often items that aren't purchased often, therefore they are keener to make a sale

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
My brother always goes for discount for cash and gets it on high priced items, but I am one of those true Brit reticents. After watching the flawed but interesting Mary Queen of Shops tonight, it seems that retailers will play the game, but then they are having such a hard time I think I would feel mean!!! What a fool I am!!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
That's a good point about a discount for cash - these people usually don't see the cash for a week if you pay by card. Give them the cash and they have it straight away, and in the terms of smaller businesses it also allows them to *ahem* account for it whichever way they see fit.

Last time I did this was when I needed a panel on my car hammered out and respray after a numpty hit me in the car park. Offered cash and it saved me £20.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Shopping around locally by phone gave me three suppliers for an identical electronic piano recently. One of those was far more convenient regarding location, but his was the higher price.
I explained the situation to him, that I would prefer to buy from him but at the same cost available locally elsewhere, and he matched the lowest cost as well as delivering and assembling the piano. We both knew that he was going to make a fair profit, and both ended up happy.