Are washing machines really built to be maintained.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
As a bit of "DIY-when-really-have-to" kind of person, I am annoyed to find that our washing machine does not have a 'fluff' filter which is accessable.
The drying cycle did not work correctly. Looking on internet forums I was able to get some info, which suggested the problem was probably due to fluff making a blockage - and how to clean it out.
Sure enough, that was the problem; which was easy enough to fix having taken the machine out from its location, removed the back panel, removed one pipe, and digging out the fluff with a coat hanger.
Do manafacturers not have a responsibility to design machines so that normally required cleaning and maintenance is easy? But I guess it keeps the repair guys in business.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Many people couldn't fix their appliances and would have no choice buy to call in the repairers when things go wrong, and taking a washing machine apart to remove the fluff build up, and then putting it back together would no doubt come at a hefty price.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Hear Hear! You have raised such an important point HW, especially in these eco-conscious and cash strapped times. We, as consumers, should be the puppet masters and we should demand that manufacturers produce easily maintained products. It is ridiculous to have to pull heavy machinery out of its housing in order to do a vital routine task.