Alternatives to Google

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I have always used Google when searching, though I have seen a lot of ads lately for alternative search engines. Google dominates the search market, it's familiar and easy to use, but I do wonder if I could get better search results if I took the time to explore other search engines.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I have to be honest, every time I use an alternative search engine I'm disappointed. Sometimes there's a reason why the company holds the most market share...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Me? Yes. It was rubbish and didn't return anything Google didn't.

Mind you, they did say the US version was more advanced. But they should have launched it over here because many people like me will try it when it launches and make a quick decision about it

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I used to use Dogpile, and I sometimes wonder why I stopped. I agree with Chutzpah (as usual) and liken it to shopping at Tesco - Google (and Tesco) has what I need and I know my way around it, so even though a niggle in the back of my brain tells me I am feeding a Behemoth, convenience wins over conscience.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I don't see them as a behemoth. I see them as a company that continually innovates and do something different. The other companies are just continually playing catch up, when maybe they should just try innovating themselves (although I have posted elsewhere why I think they can't do this).

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
Depends what you're searching for. You get far better results if you specify the type of media you are looking for. For example, if you are looking for blogs, use a blog search tool:

Forums: Omgili.com or boardreader.

Blogs: icerocket or blog pulse

Twitter: Search.twitter

Social networks: whostalkin.com#

Hope that helps :)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
We do tend to be creatures of habit and stick with what we know rather than what has the best functionality for us. I have only just come across Firefox, completely by accident, and am so pleased to have that now as my default browser. It's wonderful. So much more sophisticated and time saving that IE. (Does anyone still use Netscape? Is it still out there?).

Last edited:

Steve Hicks

Jul 14, 2009
I think the emergence of Bing could change things. It doesn't look much different to other search engines, but surely for MSN or Live to change again, there must be something underlying that they feel will have the edge over other SE's?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I do like Bing, but I wish it were from a small startup. Changing from Google to Microsoft doesn't give me a warm feeling inside... and Google is just so good at search.