Underhand Money Saving Tips

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Reading a recent thread about saving change reminded me of a couple of money saving tips I read in an article a while back that I thought were going way too far. The first was to check all the pen holders in your workplace to find loose change. The second was to visit hotel lobbies, sitting on the seats and feeling down the seams to see what loose change could be found there. I wouldn't dream of routing through my work colleagues pen holders for loose change (their change, stealing comes to mind), and I certainly wouldn't go seat hopping around a hotel lobby. I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has heard any money saving tips that they think are underhand or dishonest.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've stayed in a hotel on business and witnessed people walking into the lobby (from outside), glancing to ensure no staff are around, taking one of the complimentary newspapers and walking out again. Must have seen about ten people do this.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have always wondered how easy it would be to get a free buffet breakfast, some hotels seem very lax. Need to be cheeky but it is stealing.

I used to work in night club as a barman and the bouncers would get quite a lot from the sofas every night!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Years ago, my then rather cheeky, now a very upstanding member of the community (!!!) DH used to go with a couple of mates, for a heavily subsidised meal at Harrods staff canteen! Of course that was in the days when companies valued their staff - (and were obviously taken advantage of for it!!)
I think any 'tip' that requires you to exert a lot of time and effort on an off chance is a bit daft!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That reminds me when I was at college some of the people I knew would put on a suit and hang around outside Wimbledon waiting and ask leaving corporate guests for their tickets. Very cheeky, have you seen that film "Wedding Crashers"?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I was at a gig on Friday and whilst we were in the bar a lady in their uniform with a clipboard came over and asked "are you on the backstage VIP list?"

After we answered no she carried on trying to find the people on her list.

Now, I can think of several people I knew in uni who would have blagged their way onto it at that point. Very clever people who were much more savvy and personable than me.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I loved the idea behind Wedding Crashers! I think you could get away with stuff like that because of the great British reserve. Even if people thought you were acting strangely, didn't seem quite right, etc they would never actually accost you directly and throw you out! Once I manage to work out my perfect wedding outfit I may give it a go and let you all know how I get on ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Your right that we probably wouldn't challenge people Rachelle. When I was a manager I walked past someone in the staff only area, they said hi, I said hi back.

It wasn't until a few seconds later I realised that I had no idea who they were so span around and challenged them.

Imagine if you were in a similar situation at a wedding - you probably wouldn't actually challenge them. You would just assume that someone knew them.

Hell, when I got married I hadn't met all of my wife's family (still haven't). I probably would have just assumed that it was one of her lot!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Did you see the Simpsons episode - they thought they were crashing a normal party, but it turned out to be a funeral - of course it didn't stop Homer enjoying the buffet.
I don't think I could crash anything - even using the loos in the anonymity of eg. a Weatherspoons, without being a 'patron', brings me out in a rash!!! I am such a wuss!

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Both your posts have made me laugh. Georginazn, your behaviour is to be commended. It's not really a recommendable quality, having the ability to crash a stranger's wedding or, indeed, funeral. But, yep, if the going gets really tough and I can't afford my groceries I do have a rather nice black skirt ...

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I actually did use a Weatherspoons loo this week! I thought I was a wuss, but my mum is worse. I had already had to nurture her through making a decision on taking a little outing for lunch, but when she needed a loo on the wrong side of town from the public horrors, I suggested Weatherspoons and she almost went into melt-down. I asked her what the worst that could happen was and I also reassured her that if we were challenged, we'd simply have lunch there! Of course we weren't - but it did work in the pub's favour as she fell for there Sunday Lunch offer - so we will be going back for more than just their 'facilities'!