Advertised as having ABS - does not

Vitara1

Jul 6, 2009
Hi im hoping someone here can help me -

Yesterday I bought a car on ebay and payed cash -

The listing said the car had ABS but it does not have ABS - I did go to view the car but to check for body condition rust ect and did not even think to look to see if it had ABS - not that I would know what it looks like anyway.

When I showed it to my mechanic friend after I bought it he informed me it didnt have ABS.

The guy I bought it from is a trader - I have a receipt stating the vehicle is sold on a trade basis - No warranty or garantee is given, or implyed or otherwise.

I emailed the seller and told him it did not have ABS - his reply was as follows -

I can only apologise if it hasn't. I took it in as a part ex and to the best of my knowledge it did have. As you know from coming to view we really had very little in the way of paperwork for it and I did explain in the listing it was a part ex hence why selling it through ebay. I am always as clear and honest as I can be with my listings.

I like the car and want to keep it but one of the main reasons for me choosing it was that it "had" ABS as my previous car didnt.

Where do I stand? - How should I respond to his resonse? - Am I intitiled to a partal refund?

Any replys would be greatly apreciated.

Please help

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The car is not as descrived s you could get a full refund. If he wasn't sure he shouldn't have listed it. Find out how much less one without ABS is and make him an offer. I hope this helps.

Tony

Vitara1

Jul 6, 2009
WOW thanks for your quick replys

I have emailed the seller again saying -

I have sought further advice - I dont want this to turn sour, and im giving you the oppertunerty to offer a soloution.

Thanks again for your quick relpys - I am awaiting a reply from him now.