Doggy Bags

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
In these tough times, I hope doggy bags catch on in cafes and restaurants, as strongly here as they already have in America. I always ask for my leftovers to be wrapped for taking home – sometimes for the dog, mostly because the food is perfectly good to go and I have paid through the nose for it! I have never had any raised eyebrows, apart from when I am with my mum, who is a bigger wuss than me! Although the wraps are rarely the dog-printed bags that are so cutely supplied in the US, I am happy with a bit of foil, or even a napkin!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've never asked for a doggy bag in a cafe or restaurant, though I know I should, and I've often thought about it. As you say, the food is perfectly good and has been paid for. This is definetely a habit I need to get in to.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Good on you. The idea of the doggy bag works well in the U.S. because the portions are generous, and many Americans are very careful not to waste things.
If American restuarants tried to sell an 8 oz steak as a normal - not kiddy - portion they would not stay in business long.