Hospital Parking Charges

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
A friend recently told me how she spent over £50 on hospital parking charges when she was regularly visiting someone in hospital. This is appalling! I believe that hospitals in Scotland and Wales no longer charge for parking, so why are these rip-off charges still in force in England.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
It is mean isn't it. When my father was in and out of hospital, it marred our visits very much - especially when we needed to wait ages to talk to elusive doctors and had paid for a couple of hours, and walked for half an hour to get to the ward (Mum is 86). My mum spent the whole time clock watching and worrying. One of the nurses told us not to worry and said that no-one ever got clamped, but I am not sure we could rely on that info.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I know Bolton hospital has pay and display, but there are no barriers and I have never paid. I know Preston has barriers so you have no choice, but it is something I do not agree with, essentially it is a tax on people needing hospital treatment and their families.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Oh typical, once again I have to post the opposite viewpoint :rolleyes: :p

In most cases, I'm all for it. Because people are selfish and will use hospital car parks for their own gain.

Now, before anyone gets too angry at me, I don't agree with some of the high charges. But I do believe that paying for the upkeep of the car parks (a substantial cost that would have to come from NHS funds otherwise) and ensuring that only people who actually need to visit the hospital use it are important.

Saying that, I'm not sure why schemes haven't been drawn up to reimburse people that need treatment. And I also don't know why more hospitals don't do what they did at Bath RUH - when my son was born and my wife was going to have to stay in for a couple of days I was able to purchase parking for one week for £10. This was brilliant. When my gran went in we also purchased one of these and passed it between family members.

Saying that, I didn't actually need to buy the pass when my wife and son were in hospital. As it turned out the barriers went up at the end of visiting hours in the evening anyway (and was true when my gran was in for two months). No official statement is made about this but I'm guessing they know that late in the evening it is just family members visiting, and not people just using the car park for their own needs.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess it depends upon the location of the hospital, if it is near he town centre and getting abused then they will have to charge I suppose.

I have had to rush kids to hospital in the middle night like most parents and to be honest remembering to take cash is the last thing on my mind. I suppose this is why the barriers go up in the evening.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have paid a fortune at a hospital car park over the last three years. However, I have also been able to get my money back for the Congestion Charge due to continuous treatment that I had to get to. Maybe there is the same thing for the car park (I know I got a voucher to go and eat lunch in the hospital canteen every day) but I just never got to find out about it. Are there any nurses or doctors out there who can tell us whether car park costs can be refunded or claimed back?