samsung tv out of warrenty

elim

Jul 18, 2009
Ok i bought a samsung tv from makro in feb 08, it was an lcd hd ready tv, recently its started to switch itself on and off at random times.

But now its completly gone, switches on and a grey screen is displayed.

i find this unaccetable as i expect my tv to last longer than 1 year 4 months, it came with a 1 year warantee and i plan to write a letter to makro under that special 2 year eu law, to try get it repaired/replaced

can i have some guidence on who to write to? and some tips

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
There is no special eu warranty just the Sale of Goods Act. Do a search on the forum, sorry can't paste links on phone.

However, Did you buy the TV as a consumer? Makro is a wholesaler

elim

Jul 18, 2009
i bought the tv as a consumer yes.

i was referring to this article

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187190/EU-law-gives-consumers-year-guarantee-goods-kept-secret-retailers.html

Last edited:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Don't assume the newspapers are correct, check out the news section of this site.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
At a guess, probably, because you would rarely expect a brand name TV to last just a couple of years.

Have you gone in to see Makro yet? Face to face may be initially better than writing a letter.

Be prepared that you may have to prove it was faulty at the time of sale (as it is older than six months) so be prepared to get a TV engineer to look at it. Might also be worth putting the model number into google to see if this is a common fault that a lot of people have noted.

Finally, don't let them suggest you go to the manufacturer. You bought the item from THEM, so that is who your contract is with.

The information pages on this site are pretty exhaustive, so you'll find most of what I have just said (and more) in them, so they're definitely worth a little bit of your time to read.