Mobile phone repair

dil1976

Jul 21, 2009
I recently had to take my mobile phone to Carphonewarehouse for repair, it was there for 3 weeks before I was told that it was ready for collection.

I collected it today from the store about 8 hours ago, well exactly the same fault has now occured to the phone would I be within my rights to now ask for a new phone as they told me it was repired only for the same fault to reoccur only hours later?

The repair was carried out under warrenty

Thankyou in advance!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I am afraid the law (Sale of Goods Act) doesn't say how many times they can attempt to repair something before they offer a refund. It is all about reasonableness, so I would two attempts is reasonable. However, while the phone is being repaired you shouldn't be inconvenienced and they must offer you a loan phone.

I hope this helps

Tony

dil1976

Jul 21, 2009
I understand about being reasonable but they did have it for 3 weeks only to give me it back and it is still broke. Surely this is long enough to repair something before it becomes unrepairable?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is not the amount of time, it is the number of chances. I am not saying don't try to get a replacement just you are probably not supported by the law just yet

DonTheDJ

Jul 8, 2009
Had same thing a couple of years ago

They just tried resetting the phone to factory defaults or something

In the end they did get it fixed properly, but in the first case all my contacts had been wiped etc

Try again is all I can say, and see what happens

yorkie

May 8, 2014
Re: Mobile phone repair - botched. Advise please

I took in a Samsung Galaxy S3 to have a broken screen replaced, and paid £39.99. The LCD below was fine.
However, some days later I received a message, which stated that the LCD screen had broken whilst they removed the glass screen, and they then asked for a further £99.99 to replace the LCD screen.

Nowhere in their promotional material did they advise on the danger of the LCD screen breaking whilst removing the glass screen. What are my rights on this please?

I have offered them to either refund me the £39.99 and return the phone, or replace the LCD screen and glass with the £39.99 I originally paid.