Train Tickets

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Does anybody know what South West Trains' policy on buying tickets on the train actually is, there doesnt seem to be much logic to it.

The other day I saw a guard fine a guy who got on at Waterloo without a ticket though I've seen many people buying tickets on the train before and since. There doesnt seem to be any logic to it.

The only pattern I can see is that pretty girls and businessmen are generally allowed, students arent?

Is it really just as simple as that?

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I've boarded a few South West Trains withouit a ticket and bought one en-route...As such, I can't understand why your fellow passenger was fined.

I often find the Waterloo-Portsmouth train to have some of the most atrocious conditions and I've found myself standing most of the way back to the South Coast on a couple of occassions.

Quite simply...I wouldn't use them if I had much of a choice to go by some other sensible route.

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Yep,

I know that line well. What i find particularly galling is the two or three carriages of first class that add to the cramping.

here's a question? Do trains have a maximum weight or capacity. And, if so, how can 1 train guard hope to enforce it all the way along a ten carriage train.

Hmmm?