The internet is changing lives - for the better.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Its great - over a relatively short period, paying bills has become easy. The internet now allows us to do the routine things of life quicker and cheaper.
Now, all we have to do is keep it working correctly. Maybe it is still working because politicians have not had too much influence in it. Lets see how long it will be before suggestions are made on how to tax using it ?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I can't imagine life without the internet now. The thought of having to go to banks and queue for hours with children in tow to pay bills, etc sends shivers down my spine. So maybe I'm not such an old-fashioned gal after all!

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
The internet is not only convenient, it is also an excellent tool for money saving, advice and research, price comparison websites helping people to get the best value for money on everything from car insurance to food, and forums like these, helping consumers in their daily battles with the big businesses that seem intent on ripping us off. I couldn't imagine going back to the days before the internet, and email.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It seems that each generation brings on a different form of communication. There was the wheel, the tamed horse, the ship, the train, telegraph, radio, television, international telephone, - now the internet. So what is next ?

IanWright

Jul 27, 2009
happywriter,

I imagine it'll probably get worse in the future. The amount of data now being thrown over the Internet is astronomical, I'm sure in part due to the high number of videos/streaming available. The Internet wasn't really designed for this, so I'm sure at some point it's going to max out and we're going to struggle to get decent speeds.

On top of this, we are pushing high frequency signals down very cheap copper wires (unless you're on fibre optic). These also were never designed to carry signals anything near like those of broadband, so these are going to be another bottleneck.

Ultimately the Internet has probably taken off a bit quicker than it was ready for, and now forms a huge mass of a spiders web with all sorts of irregularities.