McConechys MOT Rip-Off

itxrd

Jun 27, 2009
Hi

I am letting you good people here know of the terrible service McConechy’s tyre centre in Partick, Glasgow offer. Frankly it is much worse than terrible and may even be considered criminal

On the 30th January I took my car into McConechy’s for its MOT. On arriving to pick up the car I was quoted upwards of £500. As the car itself was only worth £1,000 I was slightly taken aback. On arriving at the garage to collect the car I asked what the issues were. I was told and then asked if there was any leeway in the price. The general manager initially said that he could bring it down to £350. I asked if there was any more leeway and he then said he could ‘do it as a homer for £350’. I was with a friend at the time and he said we should take it away for a second opinion. The large drop in price certainly made me suspicious.

On taking it to a second garage we were told that there was hardly anything wrong with the vehicle. A couple of things needed fixing but the car was not in need of a new exhaust – as McConechy’s had stated - it merely needed re-aligning. The calliper did not need replacing – just a new washer was needed. The icing on the cake though was the apparent ‘braking system leaking’. According to the 2nd garage this was very suspicious as it looked incredibly ‘fresh’ – as if someone had tampered with it. The total cost to repair this was £200 (most of which was to fix the leak. Needless to say it was absolutely sickening to see that McConechy’s go about their business this way. I wanted to give their internal complaints procedure a chance first so I wrote into McConechy’s a week later.

After giving it 2 months I called McConechy’s head office. The area manager called me back and claimed that he had ‘written back to me in September’. This in spite of the fact that I had not written in until February. Apparently my letter must have been ‘lost in the post’ and that ‘it had addressed all of my concerns’. I asked if we could discuss the contents of the letter and admittedly he was happy to do so. According to his version of events he had spoken to the staff in the garage and ‘I am happy with the staff...they have worked there for a long time and I cannot believe that anything untoward will have gone on...I am happy for you to come in and discuss this with them...’ So basically he was totally discounting anything I had to say and in effect calling me a liar. The fact I had a friend with me the whole time made no difference. ‘These guys wouldn’t do something like that...I have known them a long time.’ Great as their relationship sounds I am not a liar. ‘ I then asked the manager to re-send me the correspondence he had originally sent. He had to take my address down which made me doubly suspicious of him ever replying to me in the first case. Needless to say i never received this response and so after waiting another 2 months I contacted McConechy’s once again.

The operations executive then suggested that we meet to discuss my experience with them. I went to the office on the 8th July where they asked me to identify who had tried to offer me the ‘homer’. The shop manager was present and I identified him. The area manager and the Operations exec then proceeded to usher me from the building and said that they would be in touch. They then sent me a letter claiming to have looked into it and found no wrong doing. To make me happy he sent me a £20 McConechy's voucher!!! I have never ever had just an experience with a business in my life. Do they think I would ever use a £20 voucher at their garage after they tried to rip me off like this?? Do they believe that this makes everything alright? John Mason claims to have completed ‘further investigation’. If he believes me to be a liar has he consulted the mechanic at the 2nd garage who saw his henchmen’s handiwork? – the answer to that is no. He has simply brushed this all under the carpet. I even identified who it was that attempted to defraud me and this is how they handle things...

As you can see I have tried every avenue over a period of 6 months within McConechy’s but to no avail. I hope that this can prevent others getting ripped off and treated with the contempt that I have

Last edited: