Wasted Food

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I shop a lot more sensibly now than I did a few years ago, when I would buy too much fresh food on a whim that didn't get eaten, went off and ended up in the bin. I'm ashamed of how much food I used to throw away. Wasted food and wasted money. I still often cook too much for a meal which results in wasted food. I should work on preparing smaller portions. Food is a massive expensive for a family and massive savings can be made from shopping and cooking wisely.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I have just cleaned my fridge out and thrown out: four broccoli (not sure how they got there!), one bowl of baked beans, one corn on the cob, one chicken breast past its sell-by-date and one tub of creme fraiche. That's probably pretty average for a week at my house. I think the solution is, as you say, to buy food only every couple of days from local shops, or to buy a smaller fridge so I can see everything that is in it!

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
cooking meals and then freezing them is a good way to preserve food, I tend to make lasagne or stew (enough for far too many people), freeze the left overs and then next time instead of taking more than an hour to cook it take 5 minutes in the microwave ... just need a freezer that is big enough and a good labelling system.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Over the last couple of weeks the amount of food I have thrown away has gone right down. Smaller shops is the answer. I knew this all along. Why does it sometimes take me so long to get down to doing the things that I know will save me money in the longrun. Bad habits I suppose.

semaphore

Oct 24, 2009
Orlandi is absolutely right - never go shopping when you're hungry. But I've got another problem that leads to the same result. I go shopping when I'm bored 'just to get a chocolate bar or some fruits'. Then I see the things that seem to be necessary. And some of them end up in the bin, because I, actually, live alone and don't eat that much.

Snippa

Jan 12, 2010
I agree, never shop when you are hungry but you also really need to make a list. I find if I do an impulsive run to the store and just grab things I end up buying a lot of wasteful things that don't get used. You also need to make a menu for the week. If already have all your meals planned out and only buy for those particular meals you won't buy anything wasteful.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Yes, I now do the week's menus in advance. Much cheaper. Much more variety. Much more effort. (Groan!).

Alliemoh

Aug 18, 2010
I agree with Snippa! I think only planning out your week will lead to less waste and more variety. Smaller shops doesn't always mean less waste and cooking massive amounts mean you're stuck with boring left-overs (I was used to cooking for two or more and now that I'm on my own I find I get stuck with enough food for lunch and dinner the next day! Booring!) I've tried to plans my meals with no waste on my own in the past but yeah you always end up with that broccoli or whatever in the back of the fridge (for me it's always celery!) Anyway, I've found this site that easily plans meals for you so there's NO WASTE! :) It's called resourcefulcook.com and is pretty amazing! I've cooked a few things so far and they were delicious!!

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
I agree but i think i sometimes buy too much food because i don't have the time or effort to go shopping more than once a week/fortnight. So i have to buy it all at once otherwise it's going to the expensive shop down the road.

walters83

Oct 27, 2010
Such a bad idea to go food shopping when hungry. I think the way forward is defiantly to make enough and freeze it or take it work for lunch tomorrow. That way you get a good square meal and save money!

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
Sometimes if you cook it all, you end up with the same meal for 3 meals in a row! Yes, freezing is best, although I don't own a microwave so have to remember to take the frozen chicken/prawns/coconut milk or whatever out of the freezer the night before. A shopping list is definitely a good way forward, although I find that I buy a whole jar of cumin or oregano, which I find I won't use again for months....