Has anyone here ever tried to claim back their PPI?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've just read something about PPI and how you can claim back your premium if it was missold to you.

Here's my story: in 2007 I got offered a new job (what I thought was a fantastic opportunity) in a different town. As it was near London we saw how much higher the cost of living was, including the fact that all the letting agents asked for two months rent as a deposit (circa £1250) plus the first months rent. A huge cost!

I called my current letting agents to check our rights in leaving our current contract, as we had signed a new 12 month contract two months before (one of those that insisted on fixed terms, no rolling contracts). I was told that there would be 'minimal fees' to cover the landlords costs.

It turned out those minimal fees were nearly £900! I had already accepted the other job, handed in my notice at my current one so I was in a quandary.

After checking with the landlord what they would be billing him (to make sure they weren't double-charging) and seeking advice from several industry bodies we found that the charges were "fair".

(Side note: I never had problems with paying my landlord's costs, we were trying to get out of a contract that we had signed, but it did open my eyes to how much agents charge for nothing)

The job really was a great opportunity, so I made the decision to get a personal loan to cover these costs and the deposit costs at our new property. At the time, it was merely an opportunity cost as my earning potential was significant in the new role.

So I applied online, ticked the box for a quote for PPI and was approved. Relief. Then we had the postal strike and the form was stuck in the post. I literally needed the loan that week, so my bank sent the form through internal mail to a local branch.

In the branch I signed it but left the PPI box unticked an unsigned. The staff member checked it over and said to me "you need to sign that, it's a condition of the loan".

From memory, that box had been outlined with a highlighter pen too to really make it stand out.

As I was so desperate I signed it. It didn't seem like a big deal.

Fast forward on, the job didn't work out (home sickness, death in the family etc.) so I'm now back in my home town raising my family. But I'm still paying off this loan. Live and learn.

I read about PPI and it reminded me of all this. The PPI cover for this loan was £283.37, with a total amount payable over the loan term of £385.38. So no small amount.

I would prefer not to pay this in light of what I've read, but has anyone does this? How do I prove that I was told I HAD to sign it as it was a condition of the loan?

Last edited:

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
By the way, I know that's a long post, but I wanted to put up the full details so anyone else in a similar situation knows that they DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE OUT PPI

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I have, or am on behalf of my brother, have 2 very good reasons for not taking it in the first place, up to now the bank have ignored it for 16 weeks (just keep sending letters in line with the Banking Code, sorry for the delay etc.) then, when I threatened to take them to court they just denied any cause to refund so I will take them to court, don't know how you prove these things tho', in my first letter I stated that he had tried to cancel it and been told the loan application would have to be cancelled and started again, he couldn't wait, in their reply they say he could have cancelled it if he wished, within 14 days so obviously they didn't even read the letter when they wrote the reply. The fight continues.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Interesting. Supposedly many of them are just settling as they know they'll lose if it goes to the Ombudsman (due to the fact that they have been rather blatantly misselling them, the Ombudsman is assuming most would have been missold)

I have typed up a letter and will send it today, I'm expecting a "no can do" first reply, but will follow it up.

If I'm completely honest, at the time it didn't sound right but as I was so desperate went along with it. It's only now I've read how many people have been mis-sold them that I feel like I was taken advantage of somewhat.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
After making me wait the whole eight weeks they have to respond to a complaint, I got a reply yesterday. It was basically a copy and paste response about why they don't think I have a case and didn't address any of my concerns.

In short, they state:

• I applied for the loan with PPI - it was me that asked for a PPI quotation
  • They recommend PPI as circumstances can change over the period of the loan, but that it is optional and is always offered on that basis
  • I signed a separate box on the agreement form to confirm that I wanted PPI
  • They sent me a loan agreement that showed separately the amount of PPI that was being added to the loan
  • At the same time, I received an insurance certificate that stated I had 30 days to cancel if I wished
  • I have the right to cancel outside the statutory period and give a partial refund

They also said that I can consider this to be their final response and if I disagreed to contact the Financial Ombudsman. This is my next port of call and I will be filling out the forms over this weekend:

our complaints procedure and how to complain

They did make me laugh though. They included an 'acceptance form' that tried to get me to tick a box either saying I can agree with their decision and wish to cancel the PPI policy and receive an (extremely) partial refund or tick a box to say I don't wish to cancel the PPI policy after all. Presumably so I waive my rights to complain again in the future.

jossman

Oct 12, 2009
York
I was paid mine back by Blackhorse without any contact from me at all, and a very nice suprise it was!:)

jossman

Oct 12, 2009
York
How did that come about jossman?
I was looking to buy a car and decided that as my current loan was practically paid off I woukld take out another and phoned up as it was all done over the phone.

When I received my new paperwork I also received a cheque for the PPi which I was not expecting. I also experienced this with HSBC, I paid off a loan early and they gave me back all the insurance, they were not very talkative about it especially when I asked why I hadn't been told about it by them prior.

money action

Jul 6, 2010
We are a professional company based in Northampton opposite the council offices,

I will pay £20 commission to any leads that turns into business for us and you could help someone that really needs help

hi everyone this is my new company I part own that helps people get money that they are entitled to and helps people that are struggling with debt please pass on to as many people as possible, we all know someone that could benifit from our services

Do you have LOANS, CREDIT CARDS, MORTGAGES or CAR FINANCE with PAYMENT PROTECTION INSURANCE on, if so I can claim this money back for you on a NO WIN NO FEE basis and it won’t affect your credit rating . On average I get people £2000-£3000 back but it can be far more please contact me on 01604 602919 or send private message.

Are you in debt over £3000, working but struggling to pay it? If so contact me I may be able to help on a NO WIN NO FEE basis with our fantastic debt solutions. It will cost you nothing to find out and I may be able to write a lot of your debt off completely. Please contact me on 01604 602919 or send me private message.

We can also claim back your credit card charges for you.

please join and then invite all your friends thank you

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
My best advice is to do it yourself!

I need to update this thread. Basically, my bank caved as soon as the Ombudsman got involved. Quite quickly actually, just a few weeks after the Ombudsman acknowledged my complaint.

All it took was researching my rights, writing a few letters and patience.

Eric Randle

Jun 29, 2010
Well done you! I'm sure you're underestimating the effort but it gives hope that the system does sometimes work!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I wouldn't say underestimating. Do your research so you have an idea where you stand, then write a letter. Wait patiently for the reply (which will inevitably tell you to go away) and then right back.

When you're told to go away again, write to the Ombudsman and wait patiently again. If you're in the right, your provider will simply cave and give you your money back.

There's no complicated forms to fill in (in fact, you'll even find resources assisting you to fill out the form the Ombudsman provides you with), just the need to do a little bit of background reading and waiting.

moneyguardians

Dec 25, 2010
This is a simple and very common way that PPI has been mis sold to consumers.

Automatically adding PPI to a loan is wrong and you are full entitled to a redress + interest.

Seek advice from a PPI Claim Back expert that will help you build a strong case against the banks.

Crystalwitch

Feb 7, 2014
Hi, I am new on here. In April, 2012, I received a phone call from a company offering to reclaim any PPI I might be entitled to. I said that I didn't think I had any but they said it was no risk and I might be pleasantly surprised. As a rule I never do business like that on the phone but I was not well at the time and my mother was seriously ill, so I agreed, in the hope that there just might be something. They said they would need to take £199.99 from my account as 'a gesture of goodwill' but that I would get every penny back, win or lose. I asked how long it would take, and was told that it could vary from case to case, but on average about three months. My mother died in the May, so I didn't really give them much thought for a while but at the end of August 2012 phoned them and asked how it was progressing. "Oh, just another couple of weeks" was the answer so I left it for just over the two weeks, only to be given exactly the same response. To cut a long story short, I have phoned every week or so, since then and always fobbed off. I have been promised that someone will call me back and they haven't. Repeatedly told that they are waiting for the banks to respond. I told them about six months ago that I didn't care whether there was any PPI to come; that I never thought there was any and I just wanted my £199.99 back. They said that since I was ending the agreement early(!), I would have to pay an 'administration charge'! By this time, I just wanted the whole thing over and done with, so agreed to them paying me £151.49. I also explained that the account they had taken the 'goodwill' payment from was now closed and they agreed to send a cheque. When I phoned a couple of weeks later to ask where it was, I was told that I must write a letter saying that I was satisfied with their work and requesting repayment and that it would then be paid back into the account which it had come from. Again I told them that the account no longer existed, and again they agreed to send out a cheque. I wrote a letter confirming that I was satisfied that they had done as much as they could and requesting payment of the agreed amount. I sent it by recorded delivery and when I checked a couple of days later, it had been delivered. I left a few more days and phoned them again. They said it would take 28 days to process; by now it was September 2013. In October they said that I would have to fill in a form which they would send with a prepaid return envelope. They did, and I filled it in and signed it but instead of using their envelope, I copied the address onto another envelope and sent it recorded delivery again. Again, it was delivered within a couple of days and again I gave them a few more days before I phoned; "Yes", I was told, "they had signed for it, but it had disappeared before it could be entered onto their system"! They sent me another form and again I sent it back recorded delivery. When I phoned to ask what was happening, I was told that the repayment had been approved and would be paid into the account it had been taken from. Again, (for about the 6th or 7th time) I told them that the account no longer existed and that they had agreed to pay me by cheque. This time I was told that they no longer made cheque payments; I said that I had their written agreement to do so in front of me and their rep said she would have to speak to the refund dept and would phone me back later that day. Needless to say she didn't and I have been unable to get through to them again; every time I ring I get an automatic message and am put on hold. I assume that when my number comes up on their screens they just leave it. Clearly, they have no intention of paying any of my money back and I don't know who to go to for help. Citizens Advice Bureau and Office of Fair Trading both say nothing they can do. Help? Please?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Usually when you deal with these sharks you sign a contract and are legally bound by it, in your case however, as they have promised you a refund and not produced it, you could take them to tbe small claims court to recover your money. It is a fairly simple process that initially costs £25 which you can add as part of your claim along with further costs should they defend the claim (which I suspect they won't)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 22, 2014
Waste of time in my opinion ESPECIALLY if the PPI company approach you. If you want to try and claim back PPI then try and find a reputable company with good reviews yourself.

mbkimberley

Dec 21, 2015
Shepshed UK
all these advertisements for ppi seem like such a scam! as nice as it would be to receive some money, ive never known anyone who has actually got anything or even bothered with it.

michelle303

Jul 29, 2016
Hey,

I used to work in debt management and the amount of people that cleared their debts because they followed through with checking their PPI was crazy.
The sum was often in the thousands but sometimes it wasn't a lot.

I think it is definitely worth checking out, especially if you're in money troubles.