Charges - Can they do this?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I have just been in a local bargain booze and they have put a sign up saying they are now charging 50p for Paypoint transactions, seems a bit off when people who have pre-payment meters already pay a premium so why should they pay again to top up?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've just checked with my wife who works in a local corner shop a couple days a week, and she's confirmed that the store get charged for the unit, and then get a small amount of commission.

Supposedly, even though theirs is quite busy (lots of social housing nearby who have payment meters, and they can also pay rent through Paypoint), they don't make any money on it whatsoever, so I can imagine how a little store has trouble justifying having it.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
The convenience store I worked in had a paypoint machine and it made nothing from it, despite it being in a relatively poor, elderly community and hence got a lot of use. Fortunately it does not charge (yet) for transactions, but I can see why some shops will do it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I know what you're both saying but why does nobody just want to provide a community service any more?

I also worked in a convenience store and most customers who came in for paypoint transactions also made a purchase from the shop floor.

Shops make very little profit on cigarettes but would they ever dream of charging a 50p surcharge for selling them? wouldn't work would it?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Witch consumer, I have to stick up for our corner shop. The owners are out to make a living, but do also go out of their way to help the local community, that includes ordering something in just for one customer, and providing a 'tab' for the locals that can't always afford their pint of milk.

They are already suffering from the Post Office that was in the store closing. They fought tough and nail to keep it not just because it gave them some income (and employed two locals) but also because the next nearest post office is over a mile away and as it involves two steep hills is a job for the pensioners to get there.

If they can help the community in any way they always can - if they charge for something, it's because it's not cost effective otherwise.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I guess the answer to whether they can or not will depend on the contract that exists between the shop and Paypoint. My guess would be that they can choose to charge and consumers can vote on their feet, assumming they have the choice.

Tony