Orange - warranty

stevekav

Aug 23, 2009
My daughter has a Samsung Tocco mobile phone on an 18 month contract with Orange, costing in the region of £27.00 per month, it is 13 months into the contract and has developed a fault, the touch screen is freezing and she is unable to use it properly, i contacted orange and they replied that because we had not taken out insurance and it was out of the 12 month manufacturers warranty, we would have to pay £70.00 to replace the handset, i asked why i was sold an 18 month contract on a phone with only 12 months warranty, and the insurance was never explained to me at the time of purchase, i asked that surely the phone should be fit for the purpose for the length of the contract as long as it has been reasonably cared for, the phone is in pristine condition and is kept in a case all the time, it has not been dropped or damaged and is not scratched, the customer services advisor was adament that she could do nothing about it unless we paid the £70.00. We have 4 contracts with Orange in our household, i even said that we would be cancelling all contracts with them when they are due, which is Jan 2010, she stood her ground and that was the end of the conversation, could anyone please advise me of anything else I can do or say to them, cheers
steve kavanagh:mad:

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
Steve read my post at http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consumer-law/6849-broken-phone-after-2-weeks.html#post12727

It's interesting that your daughters phone is a samsung, my phone is a samsung, and the message I replied to was also a samsung ... note to myself for next time, avoid samsung.

I find that orange are usually pretty good, if you explain the situation to the advisor, when they cannot help ask to speak to a manager.

And my advice is always take out the insurance on mobile phones!

Good luck.