Credit Card Refund

Jane 71

Aug 25, 2009
Hi

I wonder if anyone can advise me about a recent situation I've encountered - I was overcharged by mistake for a private medical appointment and no one realised until the following day, by which time I had already paid the full fee by credit card. When I queried it I was told that I could leave the credit balance against my next appointment, but as I was not sure about going back for the treatment they'd recomended, I requested a refund. I was told that was fine but that, as it was not on the day of the original transaction, they could not refund the money back onto my card, I would have to be issued a cheque from their head office. They weren't sure how long this would take and could not give me an answer when I asked what would happen if I incurred any card fees as a result of the money not being refunded directly onto my card.
I always thought that any refund of a credit card payment had to be made onto the card that was used to make the transaction - is this the case and is there a law stating this or are they allowed to send me the refund by cheque?
Thanks
Jane

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure but my brother runs his own business and the way he's explained it to me you are probably best off contacting your card issuer, i.e. the bank or credit card company, and asking them to do a chargeback. If you wait for a cheque then they've got to issue it, post it to you and then you have to pay it in and wait for the money to clear, which could take weeks. A chargeback (where they essentially reverse a previous transaction from your bank account/line of credit) can be done more or less instantly.