Refusal to supply goods

Bessie

Sep 8, 2009
I recently placed an order online for some flooring which was subsequently confirmed in writing by the retailer. A separate confirmation was received confirming the delivery date. Now a week later the retailer is refusing to honour the contract due to its supplier claiming to not have any stock (even though they had firmed up a delivery date). The retailer will not provide an alternative (like for like product which I have requested) and wants to cancel the order which I do not want. Can they do this?

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
If they haven't got the stock what are they meant to do?

I'm not sure if they have to provide an alternative, someone else would probably be better placed to help there.

BigTom

Aug 19, 2009
I had a near identical experience when looking for a copy of a rare movie. The site advertised it as in stock, but when I ordered it they told me their supplier didn't have it.

If they've taken your money it is slightly different but if you've simply placed an order and they can't fill it then I don't think there's much you can do. It's like going into a sandwich shop, asking for something on the menu and then being told they've run out of that filling.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
A similar case that I was disgussinglast night, a well known chain, that supplies lingerie, through stores, online and agents, took a female relatives money for a bra, the agent plaved the order, and the company e-mailed my relative to say its currently out of stock and will be delivered within 4 weeks, well four weeks has passed the agent is not answering her phone, the company are saying payment was not received, my relative has a bank statement confirming payment was taken from her card ... as I'm writing this, I'm waiting to hear back from my relative, but today, she intended to tell the company that they had 7 days to supply the bra or issue a full refund, otherwise 'they would be sorry' her words not mine.

I'm assuming that they will issue a refund, once she's faxes over copies of the bank statement.

If payment has been taken, then the company has to do what ever they acn to either supply the item, a suitable alternative or to issues a refund.

mlewis09

Aug 15, 2009
Scunthorpe
www.facebook.com
update on the bra ... still not arrived, the company have now accepted that payment was received for an item, but cannot comfirm what item until they speak to the agent, who is still not answering her phone.

if you are paying for items, please make sure you get them quickly, if they don't arrive, then do chase them up and hassal them and either get your item or a full refund.