What's all the fuss about targeted advertising software?

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Right now it seems I cant go a day without hearing somebody bemoan the fact that our clicks are being tracked by google, yahoo whoever for Behavioral targeting.

To be honest i can't see the harm in a company showing me online adverts i might actually be interested in rather than endless Chevrolet ads.

Can someone explain what's so wrong with this?

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
Hi Matt,
On some fronts I agree with you that yes a few ads aren't too much of a problem however..I think the main objection is more and more information being stored about people that can be potentially used against them. The fact that theres no way you opt out of behavioural targetting is a big issue , essentially they are storing your private data with only implied consent rather than explicit consent {you haven't signed anything to say that they can do it!}
You also have no control over the way this data is stored or used.
Put it this way, you might be fine with the fact that google knows you shop online at tescos and amazon so they send you ads in regard to those products but say someone took note of the fact that someone took note of the fact that you always book a holiday in the last two weeks in august so they sold that information to someone who then used it to burgle your house while your holiday or they noted that you were looking up debt management companies {not knwoing it was on behalf of a friend} then sold that to credit companies who would no longer be prepared to offer you good credit deals?

I know thats worst case senario but I think thats an important thing to look at when it comes to your personal information.

Barbara

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Surely anything more sinister than targetted ads can be avoided with a robust set of laws though.

It's not knowing the information that's the problem, it's using it.