Refund of Deposit - Not Your Usual Scenario

notahappyboy

Sep 14, 2009
Can anyone offer an objective opinion on the following scenario?

Car seen on website. Top spec– and very low mileage. On phone, asked dealer to give me a rundown on car’s history. 7 years old; <6000 miles; two lady owners. No service history, but old MOTs to support mileage. Asked if it had had any bodywork repairs. It had a new bumper; he didn’t know why, but probably due to scratches etc. (elderly drivers).

A distance of nearly200 miles meant I couldn’t get there to view until next afternoon. Told him if paperwork, inspection and test drive all ok, I would offer him the asking price. Apparently other parties interested, Trader to hold the car for my inspection, but wanted a hefty deposit to confirm my interest was genuine.

On the strength of the advert and trader’s answers, I began to make plans for the journey. I bought my train ticket and then Googled the Company to get directions Then came the wake-up call. A blog site carried a number of dire warnings about this trader’s antics, including a history of selling damaged/ repairables without disclosing the status. An HPI check confirmed this was a Cat C write off. Asked trader why he hadn’t disclosed the CAT C status; his glib reply was that I hadn’t asked him to! Technically true, but I had asked him to tell me what he knew about the car. At best he had been economical with the truth; at worst, well I’d better not say anymore.

I informed him that I was not interested in buying a damaged / repaired vehicle. They can prove difficult to sell; and if involved in another Total Loss situation, insurers will only pay out a fraction of the cars notional book value. I asked for my goodwill deposit to be repaid. He refused, on the grounds that I had entered into a contract to buy. Absolute nonsense – I made it perfectly clear that I needed to inspect and drive before I could make an informed decision.

I feel totally vindicated in my decision not to proceed. If he knew about the bumper, he knew about the write off status. Failure to give a full and frank disclosure as to the extent of the damage must surely constitute Mis-representation by omission. Where do I go from here? Court? Any constructive advice much appreciated