Bought a camera when I was in the UK - it doesn't work - never did

timonofathens

Sep 28, 2009
Hello. I bought a cheap digital camera, Vivicam 5018, from A Currys store in Edinburgh on 20th September 2009. I needed it for a wedding the next day. I bought it at 6pm, as the shop was closing. I tested it later that evening, but it didn't work. I followed all the instructions, tried different batteries, etc. The camera is just faulty. I went to the wedding the next day, and then left the UK to come back to Greece, where I live. I am a British citizen.

So, I didn't have the opportunity to return/exchange the camera and contacted Currys by email. Their first reply told me to get an exchange from the store. I replied that I am not in the UK (as I had told them in the original email) and I then received an email saying that I can only return it in person as they can't take responsibility for the product being damaged in the post. It is going to be very difficult and costly for me to return the camera in person from a different country. I also emailed the manufacturer, Vivitar. They replied telling me to try different batteries. I had told them in my original email that I had tried this. I repeated this to them and I am still waiting for a response.

I'm not worried about the money. The camera was cheap after all. I just resent the fact that I paid money for something that I've never been able to use. Can I do anything? My family are also outside the UK, so I can't give it to someone to exchange on my behalf. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I don't see how they can refuse the item by post, I would ask to escalate this to Head Office.

Tony