goods as goodwill gesture where do i stand?

capcb

Sep 28, 2009
hi,

would appreciated if someone could give me some advice.

i took out a hp agreement with a big well known weekly payment store and 3months into my agreement there was a serious incident that took place and to cut long story short the company told me to keep everything and was handing title of goods to me which consisted of a acer 8930 laptop hotpoint washing machine and stereo.

last week the laptop charger blew up and the store replaced but over last few days the laptop has been doing really weird things hard drive not sounding to good due to the loss of power on many occasions charger problems with batt not staying charged.

i had enough and rang acer support which after reading the charger information i was told that the charger was not for that laptop and it was not an acer charger at all more of a universal one which the amp was wrong and was advised to take it up with the store.

before i go guns blazing to the store i really want to know what my rights are in relation to this as the company let me keep the goods as goodwill gesture does this have any impact on my rights???

as far as i see it they supplied me with a non compatible charger which has caused these problems so surely they should be held responsible for what has occurred also i dont like the idea that they have damaged it by there negligence and i dont like that they will probaley send it away to be repaired i dont want it repaired as its damage caused by them i want them to give me a new laptop and if they want to repair then thats up to them.

if the damage was caused any otherway then i would accept it to be repaired why should my brand new laptop go into repair less than a few months on something that was not my fault.

i really hope somebody could advise me on what rights i do have

thank you

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
If the goods have been given to you then you have no rights as no contract exists. The same applies for prizes etc. You could try and get the rights charger from them, but there is little you can do if they refuse.

Tony