Supermarkets should face 'competition test' to prevent local monopolies, says watchdo

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Competition Commission urges tighter planning rules to stop grocery stores squeezing out rivalsBritain's competition watchdog called today for tougher planning hurdles to prevent supermarkets dominating local areas.The Competition Commission has formally recommended to the government that it...

Supermarkets should face 'competition test' to prevent local monopolies, says watchdog (external link to Guardian Consumer Affairs)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Re: Supermarkets should face 'competition test' to prevent local monopolies, says wat

Where I live all the independent shops are being forced out by the larger outlets. I think it's such a crying shame and it's about time something positive was done to prevent this monolopy. This can only be good ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Re: Supermarkets should face 'competition test' to prevent local monopolies, says wat

Part of the fault is the people that use these places.

That's right, that'll be us.

They're only responding to demand.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009

I know - it's true. But I am genuinely trying really hard to shop in different places. And sometimes I think it might be more economical. My local butchers shop is cheaper (for some things) than the supermarket and a lot nicer!