I feel like I'm paying a lot. Am I?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I pay around £60 a month for Sky (entertainment and childrens), phone and broadband (not including phone line rental). Does that seem like a lot to people or is it just the cost of living has gone up and I haven't caught up mentally yet?

kevinh1980

Oct 8, 2009
I pay the same as you through Sky. I've been looking around recently and you can get the same phone and broadband package, with a 50% off mobile calls add on, through talk talk. If you apply online you also get about £6 off per month for the 1st three months. Only catch is that there is a £30 connection fee.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've already warned about TalkTalk for internet elsewhere. If you're not that bothered by connection speeds and service reliability then go for it.

I did look into Sky a while back, but it is ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Rachelle - what sort of broadband do you use/want, and same with the phone. Do you use it a lot? What sort of numbers do you call?

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I don't really download any music/films, etc so I really just use my computer for general browsing and far too much online shopping! I know my deal with Sky is that all my landlines are free within the UK. Problem now is that people tend to just give you their mobile numbers rather than their landlines which hoiks the costs of staying in touch up. I'm getting quite depressed at the montly bills coming through as with all the competition things are meant to be getting cheaper for us, not the other way around!

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
For general browsing you're probably OK where you are to be honest, though it might be worth exploring if it's worth cancelling the internet through sky and getting your internet through someone like plus.net who I believe are pretty cheap. Not sure if you would lose your talk package though.

For mobile calls I usually just use my mobile as I get a fair few minutes in my call package, it might be worth seeing how much you use per month and seeing if anything meets your needs.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Have decided I'm going to stay put for now although as soon as my mobile contract comes to an end I will be going for a pay as you go one. Only got five more months to go! ....

kimrh

Apr 24, 2009
I begrudged paying all that for Sky so I just got a basic broadband and phone package and stuck with freeview. If you're looking to change anytime soon though this place is good for seeing all the broadband deals - they break down all of the costs and features, etc so it's much easier to compare all of the deals on offer. :)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Crikey - I'm so sorry. I've only just stumbled across your reply. Thank you very much. That comparison site is brilliant. I think you've got the answer. Bite the bullet. Get rid of Sky and stick with the freeview. I actually have a freeview box but am just extremely nervous of trying to set it all up as my whole set up seems a bit cowboy to me - bits of wire everywhere! But worth saving the money.

Henry

Mar 4, 2010
I pay around £60 a month for Sky (entertainment and childrens), phone and broadband (not including phone line rental). Does that seem like a lot to people or is it just the cost of living has gone up and I haven't caught up mentally yet?
£60 does sound like a lot.

Sky should be costing:

£19 for Sky TV, including 2 TV Packs
£5 for anytime UK calls
£10 for the most expensive Sky broadband - which is up to 20Mbps and unlimited.

In total, not including line rental, you should be paying about £34/mth. Not sure how you're getting to £60 ? Do you have Sky Movies / Sky Sports? Or do you have Sky Connect broadband, which costs £17/mth?

SystemOAD

May 6, 2010
whats the difference between sky broadband and sky connect broadband then?

Even if the OP was on that though, it would only work out to be £41 not £60!