Second hand car with major problem

Nick22

Oct 11, 2009
Hi there,

I recently bought a Land Rover Freelander that is seven years old and done 44000 miles. I paid £3850 for the car and was very pleased with it.

Then two days ago the car broke down and the recovery man said the head gasket is blown. The car is covered under warranty for parts and labour but not diagnostic testing which it needs before the warranty people will pay out. I don't really want to pay this cost and was wondering what my rights are under the Sale of Goods Act as this car is clearly not as good as originally thought.

Nick

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Nick,

Have you been back to the dealer? What did he say? The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. However, I cannot comment as to whether the head gasket Freelander of that age with that mileage should last as long as it has. Have you had it more than six months?

Tony

Nick22

Oct 11, 2009
I haven't been back to the dealer yet because I thought I could do everything through the warranty. It was only when I discovered I was going to have to pay as the warranty didn't cover certain things that I decided to investigate some more. I have only owned the car for thirty days and never expected anything like this to happen. Do I have any rights and if so what can I do with them in terms of getting the car fixed and not paid for by me?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
You need to speak to the dealer and say that the car is not of satisfactory quality and your would like him to repair it under the Sale of Goods Act - this is your statutory right. This assumes that it is reasonable for the head gasket in car of this age, condition, mileage to last longer than it has.

I hope this helps,

Tony